DIY LED lighting over a 40 g breeder

sluggerdood

Reefing newb
i am wanting to put a led fixture above my tank . what i was wondering is how many led bulbs should i get and what degree of lenses should i use ? also should i add any reds or pinks or different colors of blue?thanks

Last edited:
id use 3w cree leds...yes a mixture of whites, blues,and violets at least. At least i would...How many? Idk....Not to many ppl have done DIY Leds here. Ive seen alot on RC tho.

I'm not sure about the number of LED's (you could call RapidLED and talk to them, they'll set you up with what you need)

But as far as color goes, I'd use a mix of Warm Whites, Cool Whites, Blue, Royal Blue, and violet/magenta/UV if I were to make a DIY fixture

I'd use Cree XP series where available, but I think you'd have to go with something else for violet/magenta/UV because as far as I know, Cree does not make any emitters in that color

Slugger - I've built my own CREE LED for a 65 gal. I did 12 white and 24 blue both colors on a variable control. Eventually I add different colors just for the effect but I'm more than happy with it. Have a look at my pictures and post about it and let me know if you need any help in building.

Back