DIY sump for newbies! :)

lilreefgirl

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!
I want to start off by saying that I am VERY new to this hobby.
I have a 60 gallon tank that I am VERY SLOWLY setting up. I am going the DIY route as much as possible to save money on set up costs.

I have a 20 gallon sump planned - please let me know any comments on what I have drawn up. I also have questions about if/how to do certain things. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My plan is to have a Mag 9.5 as my return pump. I am not getting a skimmer right away, as I dont plan to have any livestock for a while. I am planning on lights and skimmer purchased much later. However, I have planned the compartment for a Reef Octopus Extreme 160 as recommended by another forum member. If I end up with something smaller, then at least I have the room, as the 160 has a fair size footprint.

Please let me know what you think!
Cheers! :Cheers: Attached Files
doc.gif
sump plan.doc (57.0 KB, 9 views)

Here, I've added it again.
I have it in the DIY forum, but thought I could get more people reading it here too :)

The plan has evolved to a 29 gallon sump.

Attachments

• sump plan.doc
    57 KB · Views: 389
some reason when I open it in word (since its a .doc) nothing shows up just a blank page... you must have something we don't >.<

Your trying to nuke it out a bit there lilreef. You need a simple place for the tank to drain to. then a larger area which will end up being lower flow. Thats the fuge. Then you need a way to seperate that from your tank ie a piece of sponge. The last area is the finishing area where you keep your skimmer and return pump. Thats it. Nothing special. Just moving water is all really.

That should work just fine.:D

The reason for the baffles is to control bubbles.Without the baffles,your you'd get bubbles which would sucked into the return pump and cause micro-bubbles in the display.

VAreef: what do you mean by "nuke it out"?
What I really need to know to improve the design is how many baffles I need and how high they have to be...That's where I'm lost.

Basically your doing something very simple here. It won't seem that way. I mean glueing that silicone and such isn't really easy. The idea behind it is whats simple. Flow the water into a small area. it then flows into a large area with seaweed. Then it flows into a small area with a pump and skimmer in it before being pumped back to the tank.

does the skimmer have to go in the section with the return pump? I thought it had to go in the section with the dirtiest water (intake)??

Does the length of the baffles matter that much?

Should the pump not be in quite a bit of water? Therefore, taller baffle?

The skimmer usually goes in a separate section than the return pump.

That is the way I had planned it originally. I am going to stick with that layout. It is just the baffles that I cant get.

I have attached the sump plan #2 - Does anyone think this will completely not work and I will have problems if I build it this way?

I am going to start building this weekend :) yay!

Attachments

• sump plan2.pdf
    84 KB · Views: 329
Here are my suggestions: Remove the triple baffle (bubble trap) between the skimmer/intake section and the fuge. You only need one set of bubble traps in your sump, and it should go between the refugium and return section. So leave that red baffle in. :D

I would lower the height of your baffles. Your baffles should be 2/3 the height of the sump. Any more, and you risk flooding your sump during a power outage.

Here are my suggestions: Remove the triple baffle (bubble trap) between the skimmer/intake section and the fuge. You only need one set of bubble traps in your sump, and it should go between the refugium and return section. So leave that red baffle in. :D

I would lower the height of your baffles. Your baffles should be 2/3 the height of the sump. Any more, and you risk flooding your sump during a power outage.

There are only 2 baffles between the skimmer/intake and the fuge. (that blue line is just indicating the height)

There are 3 baffles between the fuge and the return. The first is 2 inches from the second to accommodate my heater and the third one is an inch from the last one.

Each of the baffles are now 12" tall.

I have adjusted the drawing again.

Thanks again for the input! SO helpful! Let me know if this looks like a workable plan!

Attachments

• sump plan3.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 368
I'm starting the sump build today!
About that one baffle between the skimmer and the fuge - should there not be something to slow the "waterfall effect" between the skimmer & the fuge so that the LS I plan on putting in there does not get stirred up all the time? Or is the flow not going to be that strong to worry about?
If I have that extra piece of glass anyway, does it hurt to put the second baffle in anyway?

Back