DIY sump for newbies! :)

I like the sump design, I think I may have to copy it when i get to doing mine. I think that baffle number 2 in your drawing, if it is slightly lower than the rest of the baffles than there shouldn't be a waterfall, it's more of a divider between the skimmer and the fuge, basically holding the fuge contents in. I standby to be corrected but you shouldn't have a waterfall effect if it's lower.

Wow, that's a compliment! You are welcome to use it!
The first baffle sits 1inch from the bottom, the second one is essentially holding the fuge contents in...it is 12" tall (all baffles are cut exactly the same size), the 3rd is the same as the second, then the 4th and 5th I planned to work as the actual bubble trap right before the return. I hope it's going to work...you cant really find exact directions for these things since they seem to be so unique to the user and his/her system and requirements!

Wish me luck on the build! & good luck with yours!
As I get going and start putting things together, I will certainly start at build thread!

i liked having my fuge seperate from my main flow so i did my return in the middle and had it flow in from both sides. i can shut off one side of the sump if i need to fix something and the other half can still run.

Your intake section baffle may be to high if that is where you are putting your skimmer. I would check how deep the skimmer is supposed to be. 14 inches sounds to deep(if I read your pdf correctly). The baffle height will set the water depth for that section.

I have my return in the center and fuge on the end also. I can control the flow to it that way.Easy to change anytime just add a T to the return line and a valve.

I haven't put that baffle in yet, so I'll check the specs on the used skimmer I just bought (euro reef rs 100) and adjust as needed, thanks!!

If you do want to use higher baffles to add more overall water volume that's fine. You can always make an eggcrate base to raise your skimmer to the desired water depth of 6"-8".

The skimmer is 20" high just make sure you can remove the skimmer cup

I am planning enough space in the stand in case I need to do this.

I might add another baffle to my design (which would create a second bubble trap - so I will have one before the fuge and one after) to make this water level adjustment.
It may be a bit of overkill, but either way, I have to go out and spend more money!

I did the same thing...I think I read the specs wrong...I thought that measurement was something else...
The seller just responded to me, he had it in 9" of water & it worked great. I think I'll make the baffle the same as the rest and build a stand for it.

Thanks!!

Back