dKH Test

adampw

Reefing newb
I have a question about testing for dKH. I currently have a nutrafin KH/GH test kit. I count the drops of the regeant I add until it changes colors then multiply it by 10 which is in mg/L (ppm). How do i Convert this to dKH? Also if my dKH is too high, how do you lower it.

To convert Meq/l to dkh ......................................Multiply by 2.8
To convert meq/l to ppm caco3........ ....................Multiply by 50

reverse the above and divide to go the other way.

dkh, kh, or dh, german, 10ppm caco........................is 17.9 ppm caco3

hope this helps. if after doing the math some does not look right, reread you instructions and make sure you are doing the math correctly. the instructions should tell you how to convert. good luck. let us know.

Your conversions show that you are starting with #meq/l...is this the same as mg/L? If so, suppose it to took 10 drops to change the fluid color. I would multiply this by 10 which would give me 100mg/L. To convert to dKH I would multiply the 100mg/L by 2.8 which would give me 280 dKH? That obviously is not right and im confused lol. What am I doing wrong?

The test results as shown in the instructions give me a mg/L result. However there is conversions on the back of the booklet. So, I multiply KH (mg/L/CaCO3) by 0.02 to get mEq/L. My carbonate hardness is 200mg/L. Multiply that by 0.02 and I get 4mEq/L. To convert that to dKH i multiply 4 by 2.8 whcih would be 11.2 dKH.

To me that seems accurate. What do you all think?

Yeah I am glad I was able to figure it out. Kind of freaked me out when I saw how high the mg/L was....looks ok though. :)

Back