Do I have Cyano?

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
Looked in my tank and there was this red algae on my rocks. I did alittle research and think it is cyano. It also has bubbles on it which I don't know where they are from since I have nothing making bubbles besides the overflow part. I guess form extended light hours caused this. It is a 10 gallon tank that is still cycling. What should I do?
100_4177.jpg

100_4175.jpg

100_4180.jpg

I thought you were not supposed to do water changes during the cycle... but if I have to I will...just have to mix up some salt. I also need to bump up my pH. Although I just tested my water and my ammonia was between 2.0 and 4.0 mg/L so did it have a die off and about to cycle and have a diatom bloom?

It sounds like your cycle started already, your not supposed to do water changes during your cycle because it can extend the length of your cycle but, it's better to get the cyano out now then to wait. The bubbles forming are a part of the photosynthesis process of the algae, you could also cut your lighting period down since there is nothing in the tank now that needs the lights.

What is your pH at currently? I wouldn't worry about raising it just yet.

Your pH is fine. 7.8 is within normal range.

I would get a turkey baster and suck up as much of it as you can. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with a lot of algae in the beginning! It will become less of a hassle as your tank matures.

Ok cool. So Right now I should wait for a diatom bloom then add a CUC or what should I do? I have done alot of research but it all fades away after you start. Not sure what I am looking for here. Ya my pH started at 8.3 and my RO/DI water made it come down because I forgot to treat it with a buffer. I do not have a turkey baster sadly so I will try to siphon or something...maybe buy a turkey baster lol.

+1 biff, no reason to put a cuc in yet. Also, as long as your pH is stable then leave it and don't bother with a buffer.

your fine... but idk.. I might be skeptical of that rock.. since that's the only thing covered in cyano. Whats the history of that rock, where'd u get it and was it live/dry? It could be leaching nutrients.

If your concerned about it, you could put that rock in a small pail of water and test it for phosphates ect. for a few weeks.

I got it traded from another member on a forum(he has the same rocks) and it's not only that one there are 3 total and 2 have Cyano...the third is fine...it was live but the last pic was a piece of base rock from marcorocks.com. I also lowered my MJ600 down alittle but the flow gets very weak near the rock. Any place to put it? it is on the opposing side and there is a MJ400 in the sump part right above the rock.

Also should I use a siphon for cleaning gravel or airline tubing(basic one for little bubbler things in FW) or the tube of a gravel cleaning vacuum thing? Also since the flow isn't reaching the rock should I move it?

I wouldn't use either of those -- too much work and I'm a lazy reefer. Just head to the grocery store at some point -- a turkey baster will cost $2.

It will be better if it gets more flow.

Back