Do I Have Enough Lighting

Nanna

Reef Freak
I have a 55g show tank. I'm concerned I don't have enough light to set it up as a reef tank. The lighting I have is a T5, 28 watt, 48" long, Blue Light that emulates dawn, dusk and deep water. The other bulb is a T5, 28 watt, 48" long, 10,000K Day that simulates miday tropical sun (that's what is on the packages). The LFS told me it's plenty but from what I've been reading I don't know if I can trust them. My tank has been running for almost a week, the cycle has started, my dead rock has started turning purple like my live rock so I think I'm on the right track, just concerned about lighting right now. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

A basic rule of thumb is 6-8 watts per gallon. So you would need between 330 - 440 watts to be able to keep anything you wanted.

You are going to want more light depending on what you are wanting to put in your tank. At a minimum you could get away with a 48" 4 bulb T5 fixture. I'd shoot for a 6 bulb fixture. All the bulbs are rated at 54 watts in the 48" fixtures. You could even use a Metal Halide/T5 combo which would boost your lighting output even more.

A basic rule of thumb is 6-8 watts per gallon. So you would need between 330 - 440 watts to be able to keep anything you wanted.

I know you always say that but I just got my new Current Nove that is 6x54 and I have an 80Gal so I have 4.05watts and that is enough to keep anything but Hard Corals.

That is just what all the shops tell me and many people on here.

I have been keeping 2 Anenomes under only 216 watts for weeks with no problems so they must be happier I am sure.

Can't we just put the corals near the top of the tank to be safe.

I am only interested in a few blue corals. Most of the good areas I have are at least half way up the rock. Like 12 inches from the top.

I say 6-8 watts as a basic rule of thumb to keep ANYTHING. Including hard corals.

You also were feeding your anemones until you upgraded your lights.

I put the thing that require higher light higher in my tank. I'm not saying everyone needs that wattage. And I'm not saying that watts/gallon is an exact science. There are tons of factors (that I don't understand). I'm saying if you want to keep anything easily you should aim for 6-8 watts as a basic rule of thumb.

I apologize if I sounded like I was saying you were wrong. I was basically asking you about my lights and if they are good enough.

I can't believe you remembered I said I fed the anenomes. It is true I did because of the lights being weaker. Good memory!!!

Most people forget what you say the next day.

Ok so just wanted to make it clear I was not questioning your advice/facts/whatever you say.

Thank you for clearing that up!

I really just know lighting basics. All the more complicated PAR and stuff and I get lost.

I have a 55g show tank. I'm concerned I don't have enough light to set it up as a reef tank. The lighting I have is a T5, 28 watt, 48" long, Blue Light that emulates dawn, dusk and deep water. The other bulb is a T5, 28 watt, 48" long, 10,000K Day that simulates miday tropical sun (that's what is on the packages). The LFS told me it's plenty but from what I've been reading I don't know if I can trust them. My tank has been running for almost a week, the cycle has started, my dead rock has started turning purple like my live rock so I think I'm on the right track, just concerned about lighting right now. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

If your fixture only has 2 bulbs then, you basically have enough light to keep fish and non-photosynthetic corals. You'll need at least a 4 bulb fixture to start getting into the easier corals.

I know you always say that but I just got my new Current Nove that is 6x54 and I have an 80Gal so I have 4.05watts and that is enough to keep anything but Hard Corals.

Do you have the nova pro fixture? If so, those come with individual reflectors for each bulb which increase the output/effectiveness of the light. For example a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors will be better then a 8-10 bulbs fixture with a single reflector.

Yes it ia the pro fixture with individual reflectors. I didn't know the 6x54 came in any other setup. I thought on their site the nly 6x54 was the pro ho model.

Not 100% on that though.

Yes it ia the pro fixture with individual reflectors. I didn't know the 6x54 came in any other setup. I thought on their site the nly 6x54 was the pro ho model.

Not 100% on that though.
the novas are 8x54w fixtures, the nova extreme pros are a 6x54 fixture

Yeah it came with a bad bulb. It had 3 blue and 3 12k.

Foster and Smith said they are sending me a 10k because it should have those but I emailed current and they called me 20 minutes later said they started putting 12k so they are shipping me one and said.they didn't understand F&S saying that when I told them what they said about something about some.manufacturers using 12k now

I'm sorry but you don't have close to enough light for corals.Here's a rather simple guide but there are exceptions to the rule for T5's

216w T5-HO with no individual reflectors
LPS and soft corals

216w T5-HO with individual reflectors
Everything above plus a few less light demanding SPS corals like monti caps,derasa clams and some anemones.

324w(6 bulbs or more of T5-HO) with individual reflectors
Everything.

Phastroh,a few weeks of having an anemone is not considered success.So far so good,maybe if you can say the same after a year then it would be considered success.

Back