Do I need a 72" light?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm looking at led lighting for my 72" tank. Do I need to have a 72" light (or equivalent) light or can I go shorter?

I'm looking at a light that's 60 inches long, has 88 3W led's (264 W) and it's four rows of 22 lights. Wondering if it will spread the light to all ends of the tank or will I need a longer light?

It's a Beamswork from Aquatraders. I was looking at that or I can get a set of four fixtures that would stretch across the whole tank for another $60 but I have to learn how to solder as a couple of the led's are out and I'd need to put new ones in.

Typically,most people use 4 modules on 6ft. tanks.I'm not familiar with that fixture.Actually,that's the first time I've heard of an LED fixture that spans the whole length of the tank.

If you go with that fixture you could always go with lower light corals on the very end of each side..

It looks to me that whoever makes marineland led also makes Beamsworks

Have you checked out ReefBreeders ? Two of this value fixtures would be enough for a 6' tank and provide more than enough light.

The difference between the 60 and the 72 inch aquatrader fixtures is $10, that's a single cup of Starbucks or a movie ticket. Why wouldn't you just get the 72 inch fixture? Either way, I don't really know what kind of Par you'd get from that fixture, it doesn't really say what kind of optics are on that fixture

You'd pay $10 for a cup of coffee? Thank God I don't drink coffee...

Anyways, this is the 60" light I'm looking at: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Marine-Reef-p/56528.htm for $190

For 72", they have http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Marine-Reef-p/56549.htm which I'm not sure is strong enough light for a reef. $170

The better 72": http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Quad-Marine-Reef-Corals-p/56579.htm $320

The difference between the better 72" and the 60" is $130.

That's why I'm thinking save me $130 and maybe the light will spread good enough (I'm thinking it will) that I don't have a really dark spot on the sides.

I will say for a tank that big $320 is not too much to pay for a lighting system. I paid $230 for the marineland I got and they are only 36".

I'm between the 60" or I can pick up a set of four 18" lights, each have 40 3W led's, 20 white and 20 blue (120W each) and they have 120 degree optics for somewhere around 200-250 depending on if I can talk him down. Only thing with that set if a couple of the led's are out and I'll have to learn how to solder and put some new ones in.

Last edited:
I'm between the 60" or I can pick up a set of four 18" lights, each have 40 3W led's, 20 white and 20 blue (120W each) and they have 120 degree optics for somewhere around 200-250 depending on if I can talk him down. Only thing with that set if a couple of the led's are out and I'll have to learn how to solder and put some new ones in.
The four 18" sounds like a good deal! You better start learning how to solder; 3watt leds I think can support SPS corals. The marineland leds have only 1watt leds.

I would go with ReefBreeders. In fact, I ordered mine last night. $180 shipped and 2 would do a GOOD job over your tank. Lighting is one of the areas that you don't wanna skimp on, and with LED's, they run cheaper and cooler as well as never needing replaced.

Back