Do I need Powerheads?

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone!

I have a 60 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon sump, about 70 gal of water total. My pump circulates the whole tank about 17-18X an hour, so pretty good flow. People were talking about how healthy their fish and corals were after adding some more flow, so my question is, should I get one or two Powerheads for the tank to increase the flow? I do not have SPS corals. I was thinking one 1000 gph maxi-jet. Let me know what has worked for you, thanks

YES. You almost can't have too much flow. As long as your sand is not being blown all over the place you should be good. ;)

Plenty of options out there for increasing flow in the tank.
I prefer Vortechs for their control, and the massive amount of water they move, and their customer service. But they are the priciest.

Thanks guys, you recommend vortech? I heard maxi-jet was really good, everyone recommended them. I heard koralia may change direction and break? Any recommendations regarding Powerheads? What do you mean by more control?

Thanks guys, you recommend vortech? I heard maxi-jet was really good, everyone recommended them. I heard koralia may change direction and break? Any recommendations regarding Powerheads? What do you mean by more control?

They are controlled by their own computer, and can talk to each other wirelessly.

VorTech MP40 | EcoTech Marine

But of course you pay to play.
The MJ's or Koralias would be much much cheaper.

Yes, but they are in an entirely different price bracket than maxi jets or Koralias. Its like comparing a Toyota Camry (Maxi Jets and Koralias) to a Ferrari or a Lambhorgini (Vortech or Tunze)

I just bought a MP40 for my tank, I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy mine. I'm pretty much done with Koralias from this point on

And yes, the Koralias occasionally reverse when you turn them off and then back on again

More flow is always good. But, just so you don't get the wrong idea, a lot of people use the koralias with no problems. I had one in my biocube for months and now have 2 bigger ones in my 60 gallon. I think people have problems when using them with a wavemaker? (the reversal thing) Also, that reversal thing is easily fixed by turning the electrical plug in the outlet, if it happens at all. I'm very hapy with them and there are lots of happy customers with koralia. It was hard for me to justify the price of the vortechs. But, that's just me. You can also hop on amazon and check out reviews. I found mine for pretty cheap on ebay.

Back