Do I need water change?

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
Other than refilling the water that my new skimmer's tempernmental daily overflow, I haven't done any water change for 2 weeks now. Just tested my water and it's still zero for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Phosphate. dKH 11, Calcium 360. I only have a few fish and CUC and has no Carols. Do I need to do water change?

You could probably get by without it.But you have no way of knowing how the minor and trace elements are.Water changes also replace those,which helps keep everything stable.

Because it would only help, why not do a water change. It's always better to be proactive rather than waiting for parameters to be off. It's best to get into a habit of doing it every week or two, what ever is best for your set-up, to keep everything in line.

yea theres lots of different theories on weather or not to change water, my dad was a big "dont mess with the mix" kinda guy, and while i totally agree with him on a glass of sweet tea, i have to dissagree with it on a fish tank...

I dont know if water gets "stale" like air in an old house will, but i personally believe that changing the water is the one thing that i can do that will make the biggest positive impact for my tank.

even if its just 10% a week, or heck even if its every other week, if your not monitoring all the different elements, then dosing for them, then you have to do some water changes or sooner or later it'll catch up with you and your tank, and the results may not be pretty..

just my 2 cents worth tho...

I test my water almost everyday. I guess I have nothing better to do with the tank. lol.

I've been lacking a bit lately though, every since the readings just stay at zero.

I just bought 2 more test kits for Magnesium and Iodine. I'm running out of things to test. :D

+1 project. Water changes are like the penicillin of reef aquaria. If you have a problem, chances are a good water change will fix it. So even though you may not think your tank really needs one, i'd do one anyway just to be sure.

Back