Do theese parameters sound normal???

mm2meyer

Reefing newb
Hey just a quick question, I have my tank up and running absolutely nothing alive in it yet, Just salt, water, and some sand. But just for giggles I tested the water. And the one thing that sticks out as a little odd is my ammonia is at 1 ppm. Now I'm just trying to figure is that normal or is there something off?? Any help would be awesome guys. Thanks!!

NO I did not use tap water, I made that mistake once already. The possibility of a bug in there could be a reason but I haven't seen any, just a ton of cat hair stuck to the top of the overflow, It's an open top tank for now.

Nah. Hair wouldn't do that. It takes way too long to break down.

I'd take a water sample to the LFS for double checking. I wouldn't trust that ammonia test if what you're saying is all true.

well its a dropper test made by red sea. I was thinking the same thing I'll prolly do that in the next couple of days. It also said my ph is at 8.4 is that high or normal???

You guys are too funny :lol:
May be it discharged a little brownie cause it scared the ---- out of it when it fell in. Just let it cycle. It's all good.

Last edited:
well its a dropper test made by red sea. I was thinking the same thing I'll prolly do that in the next couple of days. It also said my ph is at 8.4 is that high or normal???

That right there could be the problem.
And that PH is good.I try to keep mine at 8.4-8.5.

I never had a red sea kit show the same results on the same water sample.
Salifert kits are good,but pricey.Api kits are decent.

Back