Does fish need lighting?

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey all,

Just going to throw a couple of questions out there.

1. I'm considering picking up a 6 line Wrasse today for my 29G setup. However, I've my light isn't here yet so would it affect the fish any if it went 3-4 days without any light source? (such a n00b question I know :frustrat:)
  2. One LFS is offering the fish at $15 and another at $40. So the $15 obviously wins but they JUST got them in today so I'd like to say the stress of moving and constant acclimation would cause the little fellow to die and that's not what I'm interested in doing. Am I wrong in this?
  3. If not a 6 line Wrasse does anyone have an opinion on a good 29G tank mate that would go along with 2 false perculas? And I'm not a big fan of the firefish.

They really dont need lighting. Room lighting will be fine for now. Ask the LFS to hold the fish for a few days until its adjusted. Sixlines are very hardy so even if you took him home today, he would probably be fine.

BigH is right.
Ask the store where their 15 bucks,if you can go a head and pay for it,but them hold it a few days.
We do that for a lot of our customers.

i wouldnt personnaly recommend it as most wrasses bury themselves when the lights in the display tank go out to avoid predatation, if the lights are out then theres a chance it will not come out and will starve. the shop should definetly hold the fish if you give them a deposit or pay outright for the fish.

Fish may not need light but the many small inverts in your LR will need to eat phytoplankton that grows as a result of light. Copepods need a little green growing in you tank. For this you would not need advanced lighting.

Back