Does it Matter What Water Conditioner I Use???

TropicalRespect

Dont Worry
I am currently using basic water conditioner for fresh or saltwater in my 3 gallon reef tank. I for some reason feel like it is negativly effecting my corals and water parameters. I was wondering if I should be using a specific saltwater conditioner over a basic all purpose water conditioner?

Don't put chemicals in your tank. Saltwater is very different than fresh. If you are coming from freshwater, you are going to need to break some habits. There is no need for a conditioner, but it is highly advised that you use RO water.

If I'm getting my water from a well that has no chlorine or chemicals in it then do I still need to use RO/DI water?

If I'm getting my water from a well that has no chlorine or chemicals in it then do I still need to use RO/DI water?

Yes because well water has all sorts of minerals and nutrients that can cause algae outbreaks and have other adverse effects.

P U R E W A T E R C L U B
The Filter Guys
FilterDirect.com

those guys usually have great product. you want one with at least 4 stages i believe.

The water conditioner won't hurt things, but the water may still have things in it that the water conditioner doesn't remove or neutralize. Those things can hurt corals and fish and lead to algae problems. Water conditioners can make your protein skimmer stop working, however.

Plus the whole reef environment just seems more sensitive than freshwater.
So you really want to try and stay away from these bottled quick fix type additives whenever possible. And one of the golden rules is to never add anything to your tank without testing for it first. Like trace elements. Your LFS may try to sell you a bunch of bottled additives, but most of it you won't need. Ask us first! ;)

Back