dog face puffer as ick

rbb302

Reefing newb
what is some thing i can get fix this and can my other fish get it. i was going take my 2 clowns out of my 14gallon and put him in there but idk if thats a good idea seeing how its a small tank and might strees him out.

copper will kill it but you need a qt tank that has nothing in it but a power head and some fitration or you can mix selcon with its food and hope for the best and ich can and will spred to other fish

yes, every fish can get ich if they are in the contaminated tank, to get rid of it just reduce as much stress on the fish as possible and soak all there food in garlic and that should help

that could get the parasite to leave the fish but you still need to treat the tank because there is still the ich parasite in your tank

garlic is something that gets the fish to eat and from what i have read soaking food in garlic help heal parasites, also you can buy copper from your LFS or the two doctors, but remember that if you use copper you have to put the fish in a tank with absolutely nothing but the fish and saltwater

If you do decide to quarantine and medicate the puffer, keep in mind that he will likely get it again when you put him back into the tank. Now that ich is in your tank, the only way to eradicate it completely would be to quarantine and medicate ALL your fish. Then you have to leave the tank empty for several weeks to ensure that the ich parasite has no host. That is just not practical for most people.

Ich is an opportunistic parasite that is present in almost everyone's tank (unless someone has quarantined and medicated every fish they've ever had before adding it to their display tank). Stress brings ich out moreso than anything else. Most fish will recover from ich on their own, if you do your part and minimize stressors as much as possible. This means ensuring high water quality, eliminating fighing/territory battles between fish, providing an environment that makes the fish feel secure and safe, and feeding a healthy diet.

Garlic extract is an appetite stimulant and boosts the immune system, but garlic will not CURE anything. Garlic extract will help your fish fight off ich, but it won't get rid of the ich.

As long as your fish continues to eat, I suggest you leave it alone and try to let it fight the ich off on its own. Some fish very easily fight it off by themselves (my trigger gets it once in a while), whereas some types of fish are extremely susceptible to ich and usually don't stand a chance once they come down with it (like a lot of tangs).

Back