Done pissed off the natives

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
So it only takes ONE ROCK to cause one to rearrange rocks...a process which took me almost 2 hours!!! I know my fish were pissed. The only ones who weren't were 1 of the chromis and the blenny, who kept swimming into the rocks I put aside while I rearranged the other ones LOL

The other day one of my large rocks at the base somehow shifted, causing other rocks on top to shift around and causing my lawnmower blenny to lose some hidey-holes. So I rearranged it a bit the other day, and left it; but I knew I'd have to redo it because there still weren't hidey holes for him.

So tonight, despite my horrible sinus cold, i redid the rockwork. Such a PITA!!!!! And it's STILL the fault of that one rock! I would set my top rocks perfectly, but that one stupid rock just did not look right. After 2 hours, I finally got it the way I want, with plenty of hidey holes for the LMB. I liked how it was before better, but this is almost as good.

I hear ya. Just finished with maintenance and rock swapping. Started with just 2 and well, you know- it just kept going for like-yup- 2 hours. My dang Engineer Goby " Slinky " LOVES to dig and spit and dislodge rocks for me. He says it's good for me. I know that the rocks are supposed to be at the tank bottom- and most are - but with deep sand bed, it gets tiresome to dig down. He tunnels 90% of the tank and the Yellow Headed Jaw does the rest.

I noticed that you have a Kole Tang listed. I have wanted one for some time and never had one. Is yours as mild-mannered as the say they are?

I noticed that you have a Kole Tang listed. I have wanted one for some time and never had one. Is yours as mild-mannered as the say they are?

Hell no he's not nice lol! Most people i spoke to said they're great fish with lots of personality,..all he has IS personality...but he is an a$$ lol I have determined he hates bladderless fish. I added a smal 6 line wrasse after him, and they get along great, but he bullied my diamond watchman goby to death, and almost starved my lawnmower blenny to death until i built the blenny a box to eat algae sheets that only he could get into (and this blenny is one tuff mutha too). He doesn' bother the other fish either.

So it only takes ONE ROCK to cause one to rearrange rocks...a process which took me almost 2 hours!!! I know my fish were pissed. The only ones who weren't were 1 of the chromis and the blenny, who kept swimming into the rocks I put aside while I rearranged the other ones LOL

The other day one of my large rocks at the base somehow shifted, causing other rocks on top to shift around and causing my lawnmower blenny to lose some hidey-holes. So I rearranged it a bit the other day, and left it; but I knew I'd have to redo it because there still weren't hidey holes for him.

So tonight, despite my horrible sinus cold, i redid the rockwork. Such a PITA!!!!! And it's STILL the fault of that one rock! I would set my top rocks perfectly, but that one stupid rock just did not look right. After 2 hours, I finally got it the way I want, with plenty of hidey holes for the LMB. I liked how it was before better, but this is almost as good.

I feel your pain. I have spent untold hours aquascaping. The rock work is kinda like a Rubic's cube. Once you change it, even a little, you may never get it back the way it was.

I feel your pain. I have spent untold hours aquascaping. The rock work is kinda like a Rubic's cube. Once you change it, even a little, you may never get it back the way it was.

I know!!! Then I almost screwed up my other 3 rock islands cuz while I was re-aquascaping the middle island, I kept bumping the other 2 on either side LOL But I think my blenny likes the new rockwork -- he's got more hidey holes.

Well, normally I like reaquascaping as long as it's on MY terms LOL If I have to do it because of something stupid like a stupid rock that doesn't know when to stay put, then I get annoyed. Plus I was sick last night, and super sleepy and just wanted to go to sleep.

Here are pics of the new rockwork....I actually like how it turned out:

Hehehe...notice all my water spots from last night's work.
aquascape.jpg

Yes, time to scrape the coralline and algae off the glass ;)
aquascape2.jpg

aquascape3.jpg

Rocky chillin' in one of his many hidey holes:
rocky.jpg

rocky2.jpg

Well, normally I like reaquascaping as long as it's on MY terms LOL If I have to do it because of something stupid like a stupid rock that doesn't know when to stay put, then I get annoyed. Plus I was sick last night, and super sleepy and just wanted to go to sleep.

Here are pics of the new rockwork....I actually like how it turned out:

Hehehe...notice all my water spots from last night's work. View from the back
aquascape.jpg

Yes, time to scrape the coralline and algae off the glass ;) This is the front view
aquascape2.jpg

aquascape3.jpg

Rocky chillin' in one of his many hidey holes:
rocky.jpg

rocky2.jpg

Nicely done! Love that Blenny box. Good idea. It's like making a creep feeder for young farm livestock so that they can get in, but their parents can't. Honestly, I never woulda thounght about doing that even though I make creep feeders every year. Thanks for teaching me something new!

NP :) It's always nice to see/share diy projects that help out the livestock. I don't know how I came up with this, but all I knew was that my blenny was trying his best to get his fill of algae sheets, but that a$$ kole tang keeps chasing him away (the foxface and coral beauty don't bother him at all). So I knew i had to come up with a way for him to get food closer to his cave. He's now so used to the box, and sometimes, he'll be IN the box waiting for me to add more algae sheets LOL

What a hoot! I think the Blenny group is such a gas. They are expressive and way entertaining. Do you have any Macroalgae in the tank? I can't imagine my guys fighting over greenery- my tank is slap full of it. Also, funny thing about the Coral Beauty- I have had 3 over the years and finally gave up. Pretty is as pretty does and mine were all snotty buggers.

My coral beauty is a sweetie actually :D My only a-hole fish is the kole tang. And my foxface is the biggest, but wimpiest. I get algae on the glass, but between my fuge in the sump, my foxface, coral beauty, tang, and blenny, that's about all the algae that I get. At one point I had a couple of patches of super long & thick hair algae.

Notice my foxface (when he was smaller) peeking out from behind it (his nose and part of his spines are poking out of the top left)
smDSC06877.jpg

With all of those green lovers in there, you may think about trying Prolifera Calerpa. It is listed as an invasive species, but honestly, it is so easy to yank out that it not a real problem in a tank, and it's beautiful to boot. Do NOT get any of that d*mn Sawtooth Calerpa! Seriously. I rue the day that I put that crap in my tank. It is neigh to impossible to beat back so that it doesn't consume your corals and everything else in the tank! That was why I was considering getting the Kole in the first place. To help me keep it in check at least. Fish also love Ulva-both red & green varieties. Like ice cream after dinner. I do think that the best ( at least for my tanks ) has been the Prolifera though. It grows fast, is easy to remove from areas that you don't want it in, apparently tasty to fish and lends a bit of the look of Kelp to the tank- waves gently in the current. Add all of that to nutrient uptake, and what more could you want in a Marine plant?
Your Foxface pic is cute. I haven't had a Fox since my Elder one died after 9 years. He was an adult when I got him, so I dinna know how old he really was. I miss ol' FoxyMan for sure. Enjoy your guy.

I don't want to add more algae cuz they're all nice and fat anyway :) They pig out on algae sheets and whatever algae grows on the rocks/glass. I love my fat ole foxface. I don't think he realizes that he's the poisonous one in the tank LOL

LOL. That reminds me of the same experience which I had last year. Sometimes aquascaping is so difficult. You have to please yourself and at the same time your fish as well. My royal gramma got very angry when I did that last time. :D

Back