Don't Say Turf!

Paligues

Reefing newb
I have heard all about red turf algae and im praying that it isnt. But guys, be honest, I need to know before any serious spreading!
IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

Have you touched it. Turf algae is coarse and really stuck to the rocks. It's hard to tell from those pics. If you're not sure I'd still take the rock out, boil it for like 10-15 minutes and then scrubb it off with a bristle brush.

The problem is, its the only rock that is housing any sort of serious life. Is there a way to possibly save the feather dusters before boiling the hell out of it??

Well, if it IS turf...it will take over EVERYTHING, and maybe even kill off your feather dusters. Feather dusters will grow back. Do you really want to risk it just to save a few feather dusters?

Ask sen! He's the resident expert....not of killing it off, but just experience with them ;)

If there is life on that rock there will be life on the others as well. Give it time it will show up. If it is turf, you better handle it now tho.

Those mini feathers will grow back and spread. They're more than likely on other rocks and you just don't know it yet. I'd kill the bad stuff to sacrifice the good to save you tank in the long run.

It doesn't look like turf algae to my eyes.I'm seeing maroon coralline algae.

+1 Dominick It didn't look like turf to me either. I blew up the pictures 200% and it looked like dark red coralline to me as well, but I'm prob wrong. That's why I asked if he touched it. Turf is coarse, tightly packed algae and would def feel different than coralline.

Well, I was an idiot and boiled it already... I heard turf and got scared... so i kinda screwed myself. Now I have a whole other problem. That rock that I boiled turned green and the coralline/turf turned black. Why did it turn green and black??

ps, i know i should have waited...l feel like an idiot

You'd turn black and green if somebody boiled you.:D
I dont know about the black.But the green is algae taking advantage of the extra nutrients from the die-off after the boiling.
Dont put that rock back in your tank untill all the dead stuff has rotted away.Even a big dio-off of bacteria on the rock can cause a cycle.

I am the resident expert on Red Turf algae and there is no way to tell from the photo if it is red turf algae. There are MANY red algaes and almost every discussion of red turf algae on the web confuses different types of algae. It is a dark red wine color, grows in low 'trate environments, especially in high flow areas. You cannot scrub or pull it off. It is short and velvety to the touch. It has little vine-like creepers that grip the rock. The best thing to do is to control it and forget about eliminating it. And besides it doesn't look bad.

You may have boiled too soon and even so it only takes one little spore for it to start growing somewhere else. I've had luck with quarantining rock in a dark make 5G bucket with heat and flow. Funny, but I just took the rock out of the bucket yesterday and the algae had died off on most of the rock but it took like 2 months! The best type of control is a short or long spined diadema urchin.

See now this is what happens when you act without asking. So rock is already back in the tank has been all night long. Cycle is already starting and hey, what else could go wrong? But hey, lets look on the bright side; if it was turf algae, I saved myself A LOT of hassle.

Is there anything in your tank now? If so, prepare some water for water changes. If it's empty, then awesome :) Just let it cycle.

I think Sen's given up his red turf algae battle ...hehehe...if you can't beat it...enjoy it!

Is there anything in your tank now? If so, prepare some water for water changes. If it's empty, then awesome :) Just let it cycle.

I think Sen's given up his red turf algae battle ...hehehe...if you can't beat it...enjoy it!

I ain't given up yet! I'm looking for s short spined urchin now and I am going to try raising Mag way up.

So far a wire brush and putting rock in a very dark bucket for 2 months has gotten rid of it.

All I can say is next time, i'm waiting before i do anything drastic! However, I did come across something amazing before i boiled that rock. Turns out I had a few snails i didnt know about. They are really small and theres only maybe 4 of them that i can see, but they must have hitched their way in. Is there such a snail that I should be worried about or are all snails great for the tank?

There are predator snails. Sundial snails and pyramid snails are bad. But I doubt you have those... What you saw are probably collonista snails. Google those to make sure.

Back