dragonets

diver

Reefing newb
last night I got a fish that was billed as a "scooter Blenny" but when at home, and comparing in my books, it is really a dragonet. The book rates it as hard to feed, and I don't want to have to baster feed a fish. It's just not going to happen. Any thoughts or experience on caring for this fish??:grumble:

They are difficult fish to keep alive. A lot of them will only eat live food, so they often starve to death in tanks. If yours is readily eating frozen food, then it should be fine and will eat what your other fish eat. If it won't eat frozen, then you may have to bring it back to the store unless you are willing and able to keep a source of live food on hand for it.

If it doesnt eat frozen food take that thing back. your tank would need to mature much longer to be able to sustain enough live food for the fish

Scooter aint that hard to keep.Unlike most dragonets,most of thime they will readly take frozen foods.
I'd give it a few days and see how its eatting.If its eatting good,then it should be a fairly easy fish to keep.

A Scooter Blenny is just a nickname.It is not a blenny at all so I don't understand why they call them blennies.You do have a dragonet and if its eating frozen foods like mysis then I wouldn't worry.Like Yote mention,they are not as difficult as other dragonets Mandarins.

Last edited by a moderator:
much of its success is also determined by tankmates. I have seen specimens that are eating in the LFS only to have them waste away due to aggressive feeding tankmates. If you have any aggressive or territorial fish, it may just not eat after a few days and slowly starve. Good luck

-Doc

thanks for the input, dr. he is odd enough I want him to make it. I have a question though-what is a FOWLR, leathers ad what is LPS?

FOWLR+ fish only with live rock.
Leathers are a type of soft coral.And LPS stands fot large polyp stonie corals.

thanks, yote. your & reeffreaks earlier posts actually made me decide to keep the little sucker. I will add some mysis to the mix. btw, I ordered the nova extreme t5's......and I want to go back to the live rock dealer, I need a fix.

Yote has you covered. FOWLR tanks tend to not look as full as reef tanks due to the lack of coral. The trade off is that the fish in a FOWLR can be amazing! Some of the biggest and most beautiful fish are not safe with corals. IMHO, FOWLR tanks should be as big as possible to fit in the fish that will look best.

I am a fan of actually using leathers with FOWLR tanks. Many fish will not touch leathers and I currently have them with large angelfish and it looks pretty damn cool.

LPS (large polyp stony), SPS (small polyp stony), and soft corals are the three types of corals you ca put in your reef tanks. SPS corals are the most difficult to keep, LPS are in the middle and softies are the easiest.

-Doc

Softies will be first for me. There are some cool ones put there.
Are there any pics of leathers on the site? I'm not aware of seeing any, but I've only been in 3 stores w/ saltwater. I did see a nice gorgonian, kinda tan, abt. 10" tall treeish looking I would like after the lights arrive.
Q:will my live rock get better after the lights?

Softies will be first for me. There are some cool ones put there.
Are there any pics of leathers on the site? I'm not aware of seeing any, but I've only been in 3 stores w/ saltwater. I did see a nice gorgonian, kinda tan, abt. 10" tall treeish looking I would like after the lights arrive.
Q:will my live rock get better after the lights?

once coralline algae starts growing on your rocks (hard purple coating), they start looking pretty cool. You can tell a coral is a soft coral when there is no skeleton present. I have a few pics of soft corals / leathers on my 125 experiment build page if you want to check it out.

Gorgonians can be tough to keep. Sea fans are almost a guarantee death, but I have had some success with the tree-like purple gorgonias from the atlantic ocean.

-Doc

hardly, I get to maybe a third of what I would like. Mostly I scan for short threads so I don't take too much time reading. I figure if that many people have posted, I am not needed. Time management my friend. I might get to three posts in a day. Just too busy.

-Doc

Back