Drain size question

ibefishy

Reefing newb
As some know I am about to embark on my first reef tank and went and bought a 1 1/2" bulkhead( 1 3/8" id) for my drain. I bought it at one FS that said it should be fine. Then while out looking for some other parts being one store doesnt have everything I need the next LFS said that my drain would be too small and suggested that I get a larger bulkhead and thus a larger drain from the tank. I now also have a bulkhead with an id of 1 7/8". With a 65 gallon tank and using a 40 gallon sump what would be an adequate drain. I was going to use a 650gph return pump to move the water back up to the tank. I know everyone has their opinions, so I ask what is yours?

That sounds fine to me. On my 240 I have two 1" drains.

It's the size of your return pump that will dictate how much water goes down into the sump. The tank can only drain as fast as the return pump pushes it out.

Thanks, thats what I thought but being new to this I will hear someone say something and take it into consideration and try to get other peoples views before I go and commit to something.

nate

On my 75,I got 1-1" drain line going to the sump.
Like Biff stated,your return pump will dictate the drain size.Any thing 1" or bigger will do fine.
If the drain cant handle the flow,then all you gotta do is install a ball valve in the return line.

Back