Drip acclimate corals?

BL1

I've always drip acclimated my corals but, tonight I got 13 new coarls and it would take a lot of time to acclimate all of them. Is it really necessary for corals or just for inverts and fish?

The LFS told me that it was unnecessary to drip acclimate corals. Just float the bag for temp and stick em in...after a dip of course.

I don't acclimate corals. I do a quick dip to try and keep away any parasites or disease, and plop them in the tank. I do leave them at the bottom (on the sand) for about a week before I put them in their permanent spots to make sure they are doing okay, and to adjust them to my lights.

That's funny I got exactly 13 frags in the mail today. What I did was dump them all in a styrofoam box with the water they came in. Then I dumped a glass of tank water in there. Then I drenched em' in Lugol's Solution (about 30-40 drops). Then I waited about 5-10min. and 1 by 1 rinsed them off in a cup full of RODI water and then placed them in the tank in the sand. Then I turned my lights on about 1-2 hours after. And they colored up literaly instantly as soon as the lights went on. The zoas are still opened even though the lights already went out.

I have always acclimated my corals 2 1/2 to 3 hours. In fact I do that with everything. Humm. Maybe I don't need to based on what you all are saying.

I use a turkey baster...1 squirt every 15 minutes... for 2 hours. Then put them in...

I have never dipped or added any Lugols.... making me more paranoid though :P

Okay back on topic. Why wouldn't one acclimate corals? Wouldn't getting the salinity equal and temperate the same be important? Wouldn't acclimation give corals a greater chance for survival?

I would have thought so but from my experience in acclimating corals the ones I just tossed in the tank ASAP were much less stressed then the ones I drip acclimated slowly. I don't know the science behind it but one thing I know they didn't like was that the temp of the water would get cold the longer they were out of the tank. That is irrelevant if you acclimate while floating however.

Offtopic: I want to see more pics of your imaginery tank! The Zero Edge is one sick specimen and you don't even share it with us!!

Most corals can handle fairly quick changes in water.Salinity especially.
Think about where natural reefs are located.They are fairly close to shore and in pretty shallow water by oceanic standards.When rain storms blow through,they can drop the salinity and change the parameters by quiet a bit.And when those reefs are close to where rivers and estuaries enter the oceans,those parameters can change even more.
BTW
I use the turkey baster method with one squirt out of the bag for one in until the salinity in the bag matches my tank.Then the new corals go on the sand bed for a week.

I won't suggest anyone do it like this, but I "air" acclimate my SPS coral frags. ;)

What I mean is, when I get a frag I do not put it in my tank on the whole plug. I take the coral out of the water, either cut the frag off the plug or cut the plug down to size then super glue it to a piece of live rock rubble. They are probably out of water for 3-5 mins then I just put them right in my tank.

I won't suggest anyone do it like this, but I "air" acclimate my SPS coral frags. ;)

What I mean is, when I get a frag I do not put it in my tank on the whole plug. I take the coral out of the water, either cut the frag off the plug or cut the plug down to size then super glue it to a piece of live rock rubble. They are probably out of water for 3-5 mins then I just put them right in my tank.

Thats how we do new SPS corals at the LFS.

Back