Dry Rock Bacteria

AirBoyzT

Reefing newb
Ok, New to salt water aquariums and have done a bit of research and have decided to go with Dry Rock due to cost being cheaper for what you get and it will allow me some time to save up for some more stuff while I'm cycling. My question is, once I put the live rock into the tank with the salt water, heater, water flow, etc....what do I need to add to the tank to get the dry rock to become live rock, or does it occur naturally. I do plan on using live sand as substrate.

Appreciate the advice!
-Aaron

It will happen by itself, but we usually suggest raw table shrimp to be tossed in to start your cycle. As for substrate, arsgonite in a finer grain will do, but not too fine or it won't stay put. Lastly, make sure you put rocks on either bare glass or light diffuser, then sand so the rocks can't shift with the sand.

It will happen by itself, but we usually suggest raw table shrimp to be tossed in to start your cycle. As for substrate, arsgonite in a finer grain will do, but not too fine or it won't stay put. Lastly, make sure you put rocks on either bare glass or light diffuser, then sand so the rocks can't shift with the sand.

Ok prepare for the dumb question, Table Shrimp as in the kind you eat?

Thanks guys, appreciate it....I guess if I have a 55 gallon tank, I need at least 55 pounds of Dry Rock? and 55 pounds of substrate?

Yes, the kind you would eat and make sure it is raw. Take it out once you see an ammonia spike which is usually about 24 hours give or take.
A lot of us have used dry rock due to cost, but have seeded it with live. I believe the ratio is 1 pound live to every 10 pounds of dry.

General rule is 1-2 lbs/gal. That is a good start. I prefer closer to the 2lbs/gal just to give me more filtration but to each their own:D

Google sand bed calculator and you can enter the dimensions of your tank and the depth you want the sand bed and it will tell you how much you need. Around 2-3" is a good depth.

Last edited:
Back