Dry rock question

Tim

Reefing newb
Hoping someone can get me pointed in the right direction, I just ordered a 50 lb box of dry rock from marco. My problem is that I really dont know what to do with it when it gets here. The website says the rock is pre cycled, but I'm not sure how to interpret that. My tank has been up and running for 2 months with only a damsel, a few hermits and a pair of peppermint shrimp. All water perams are testing good. Should I soak the rock in another tank for awhile? Can I just give it a good rinsing and add it right to my tank? I have about 20 lbs. of live rock currently in my tank. Things have been going along really well and I dont want to make a mistake here. Any advice is appreciated.

Rinse the rock very well, it's going to come in very dusty. After that, you're good to put it right in your tank, it should not cause a cycle. You may see an algae bloom shortly after but, thats normal and will go away on it's own.

Thanks Brian, that makes things easy. I'll get the rock placement out of the way before I start with the newbie sump questions:)

I used Marco rocks to start my tank as well, it will need a good rinsing to get all the dust and sand out of it, but after that you should be able to add it right to your tank - just as BL1 has said

What if you're adding more dry rock than the live rock you already have? Like if you had already have 30lbs, put it in a bigger tank, and then added 50lbs of dry? New cycle?

What if you're adding more dry rock than the live rock you already have? Like if you had already have 30lbs, put it in a bigger tank, and then added 50lbs of dry? New cycle?

Nope, you'll still be fine, when I started my 75g I only used 30 lbs of live and 100 lbs of Marco Rocks and never saw a cycle.

Back