Dubby's 10 Gallon Reef

Dubby Tee

Reefing newb
http://www.youtube.com/embed/IkXix97ulIk

Here's the start of my 10 Gallon Reef. In this vid, I just show off a bit of what I have so far. I just changed the powerhead to a circulation thing. I also got rid of the Marineland Biowheel, since this week I am getting a skimmer in. I also got new lighting, its Solarmax HO T5 lighting.

Any suggestions or see anything wrong, don't be afraid to let me know!

Last edited:
I would skip the skimmer and make a DIY HOB refugium out of that filter. Skimmers aren't worth the money on tanks smaller than 30 gallons. DIY fuges out of filter boxes can be fun to make.

try posting the link, not the "embed" thing, it didn't work.

Actually thats not true, skimmers are still useful on smaller tank, but they arent needed. If you want a skimmer on there, go ahead.

Oh, I understood they weren't really gonna do anything. And my apologies about the link, it actually worked, but it didn't on my other computer...hm, oh well.

So I opted against the protein skimmer. I bought a huge one and it really doesn't fit the size of the tank. It was also pumping out way to fast for the size, and the tank was literally covered in bubbles in a matter of 30 seconds. It was ridiculous. I hope to upgrade the tank after about a year and a half so I will save it, but it was huge. It was a Sky496 skimmer. Guess I learned my lesson from buying things on Ebay!

Just a suggestion, but ditch the marineland powerhead. I had two and within about 3 months the suction cups had completely lost suction and they were letting loose every few days. That's what caused my massive fish loss in my 50 gallon. Save yourself the heartache, and buy a Koralia now. They are more expensive, but well worth it when you consider that your tank's life may be on the line! You might also consider going with a finer-grained substrate. The larger stuff like you have traps detritus and ends up seriously increasing your nitrate levels. It's much easier to switch it now than when you have livestock in the tank!

I will for sure consider the Koralia, but the budget is a little tight right now. I only have so much to work with. If I go for the Koralia, I will probably end up getting the Nano Model (which does 100-260 GPH). I see the downside with the Marineland, but it does 500 GPH in circulation mode, which I have it in now. As for the substrate, I put out quite a bit for it, and I really don't have the funds (like I said above) to change it out right now. It's gonna have to do, as I am not making money while in college. (Don't have a job). When its the summer, and I go back to my job, I will be able to switch it out. Thank God the summer break is only 2 and a half months away.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

So I was bad and decided to get clown fish today. They look really good though in the tank and are moving around quite a bit. It was weird that they both were in the corner at the same time.

Nice looking tank. Really like your two clowns. Not weird for them to be in the corner together, they will stick close to each other and find an area that's their territory. If you do go with the Hydor Koralia Nano (when funds permit) I would get the 425 model. It'll live you more flow over the 240.

I really like the clowns. One of the main reasons I got into the hobby. The real reason though is the Blue Tang and species that look like the Moorish Idol. I knew that I did not have the funds to get a huge tank or these fish, but I wanted to get into the hobby. I figured might as well start out small, and see how it goes. I can really see myself upgrading in about a year, year and a half. I plan on saving money, and maybe going to get a job during the school year. But so far, its great!

^lol yeah. big part of the childhood. And when I went snorkeling in Hawaii over the summer I saw the Moorish Idol. Clownfish and Blue tang were from Nemo. I kinda forgot about the Moorish Idol until I went snorkeling and my friend pointed it out. I was like o.O

I'm a huge fan of Finding Nemo, can't wait until it comes out on Bluray. Sadly my tank isn't big enough for a moorish idol, though I believe they nip at corals too.

I was looking at the pennant coralfish. But I am getting WAAAY ahead of myself. Gotta get a job and see how this first tank goes. So far, I am loving it. Its a great hobby.

Moorish idols are probably one the hardest fish in the hobby to keep, dont assume you are going to be one of the two or three people have success with them. You are going to be one of the thousands out there that just kill them. I dont mean to sound harsh but that is the reality with these fish. The people have success with them are the people who have been in the hobby for years with huge dedicated systems just for them. This is a fish that should be left in the ocean.

Also just FYI the blue tangs in need in a 8ft tank because they are such an active fish.

It doesnt come off as harsh! And I totally know about the blue tang. I did some more research on the moorish idol. Not a good call on my part. But something that looks like it is cool. Doesn't have to be the moorish idol.

The only thing I can think of that is like the moorish idol are the banner fish (also called the poor man's moorish idol) but they arent reef safe, and because it in the butterfly family, still a challenge to keep.

Back