Duh, I am so retarded!

Doc

I don't work for anybody
OK, so I have never boasted about being a marine biologist. Heck, I am not even a biologist, nor even enviromentally friendly. But I thought I had enough sense to be able to read my water test kits.

I was about to complain about my mushrooms not opening up the same way they used to and ask for advice about what to do to make them happy. I tested my water just to make sure and I may have solved my own problem.

As you may know, a while back, salifert changed their tests for Alk and Ca. I have been using them, glad that my tank was measuring OK, but today I realized that I have been adding the wrong amount of water to the Alk test vial. What I thought was a level of 11-12 has really been about 8. Durh.....

So, I am currently dosing the snot out of my tank to safely get it back to where I originally thought it was...at 11-12. So there, glad I am not a biologist or I would probably punish myself.

Still looking for ideas to get my mushrooms to open up and get all big and fluffy, aside from my Alk. My Ca is 450, no ammonia, nitrates 5ppm, no nitrites, Ph of 8.2. Ideas welcome.

I have already thought of the angelfish nipping on them, and that could be the case, although they don't do it when I am around. little devils.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Oh, and I have been adding amino acids weekly (as per the directions). How often do you guys dose amino acids? could that be the cause? I have been thinking about dumping a bolus of coral vital, but it is so freakin' expensive I have not done that yet.

Well, that's not too bad for alkalinity. It's easily fixable. If your pH hasn't been fluctuating too much, I don't think that would be the reason for your mushrooms not being happy. As for amino acids -- don't know. Never tried using them.

I would just blame the Angels.
Whats the benefits of dosing amino acids?Sounds like something that should be in fish/coral foods.

I use the seachem purple label carbonite alk booster. I mix a spoonful weekly, but apparently that has not been enough.

Has anyone ever used coral vital to boost coral growth?

Doc,
If you'll read the label on the coral vital,It'll tell you that have to use it daily for 30 to 60 days BEFORE you'll see any results.Plus the directions say that once you start using it,that your corals become dependent on it and then you have to keep dosing.
Personally,I think its just some more junk that somebody is trying to make a living off of.

sad but most likely true, its probably your angels. amino - acid? I don't dose anything into my tanks. the 850 has a calcium reactor oh yea and sometimes we put in iodine (maybe monthly) and my 180 I will dose with purple up (calcium) maybe 2-3 times a week.

Back