Duncan Not Opening

DCONKLIN

Reefing newb
IT HAS BEEN A GOOD 2-3 MONTHS SINCE MY DUNCAN CORAL HAS OPENED. I HAVE MOVED IT TWICE HOPING IT WILL BE HAPPIER BUT NOTHING. ON OCCASSION IT WILL START TO OPEN AND THEN NOTHING ONCE AGAIN.

WHAT IS HAPPENING? DO THEY GO ON FIESTA FOR A WHILE? ARE THEY ON VACATION?

THIS PIC IS FROM 01 15 14

01 27 14.jpg

Last edited:
Please list your water parameters, lighting, flow, etc...

We really need to know that to start helping.

Has it been only trying to open while in lights out? Is it getting full light or is it shaded?

It's normal for a duncan to close up occasionally for a day or two, but not a month or two!
Like nick says, please post all your water parameters. Something isn't right.
They like light to moderate flow.

Is it possible someone is irritating it? I know with mine my cleaner shrimp was all over that thing like a chubby kid on cupcakes! And it would never open. I just moved it to the other end of my tank now it's open all day long. Good thing my shrimp isn't too bright.

FINALLY GETTING BACK TO THIS THREAD

SALT - 1.023 TO 1.024
NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0 - 0.5
pH - 8.00 - 8.5
ALK - 8
AMMONIA - 0
PO4 - 0.2
TEMP - 78 - 80
CALCIUM - 410

WATER FLOW IS MEDIUM & I HAVE HIM IN THE FRONT LEFT 4" FROM CORNER OF TANK. I HAVE MOVED IT A COUPLE OF TIMES INTO A DARKER AREA WITH THE SAME MEDIUM WATER FLOW. PLACEMENT IN THIS TANK IS THE SAME AS THE 55g. ALL OTHER CORALS ARE THRIVING. DUNCAN HAS NOT BEEN OPENING FULLY. I CHECKED SEVERAL TIMES WHILE LIGHTS ARE OUT BUT STILL IS NOT OPENING.

2-3 WEEKS BETWEEN MOVES. I HAVE A FIRE SHRIMP & A SCARLET SKUNK SHRIMP BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM ON THE DUNCAN OR FOR THAT FACT NEAR HIM. I HAVE AN ACAN NEAR BUT DOES NOT SEEM TO BOTHER EACH OTHER.

You have leather corals in your tank have you tried running some carbon?

Is the time stamp on your pic correct that you took the pic at 2 am?

In your showcase its open, that's a nice coral! But am I correct that there was a lot of hair algae on the LR when you took the pic of it open?

YES I HAVE LEATHERS & I DO RUN CARBON

2am IS CORRECT I AM A NIGHT PERSON SO I HAVE MY LIGHTS ON A TIMER.

ULTRAVIOLET PURPLES COME ON AT 730pm & GO OFF JUST BEFORE THE WHITE & BLUES COME ON AT 9pm. THE BLUES & WHITE ARE OFF @3AM

YES I FINALLY GOT THE HAIR ALGAE UNDER CONTROL BUT IT WAS AFTER THAT THE DUNCAN DECIDED NOT TO OPEN.

Are you or have you dosed anything?
Have you tried moving it to a more shaded area? Or tried not running the ultraviolet strip for a few days?

I would think that if it wasn't opening for 2-3 months you would see some tissue loss. But yet it looks healthy in the pics.
I'm at a loss here maybe the Duncan is not a night coral?

I HAVE MOVED IT TO A MORE SHADED AREA & WITH LUCK IT WILL OPEN. EVEN CLOSED IT LOOKS HEALTHY. I LOOKED THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS TO SEE IF I COULD SEE ANY INTRUDERS BUT FOUND NOTHING.

I DOSE CORAL VITE & LIQUID CALCIUM REACTOR & FEED ZOO MAX ONCE A WEEK.

I would ease your SG up closer to 1.026 ( I don't think that is causing it but it is healthier for a reef).

I agree with Steve that it appears healthy other than not coming out.
Duncans can get pretty pissy at times and sull on you but I've never had one do it for months. I would make sure the flow was light on it. If you feed frozen food take some of the water that you thaw it in and draw it up in a syringe and squirt a little around the heads to see if you can spark a feeding interest.

Back