Duncan Not Opening

THIS WAS TAKEN MARCH 12 @ MIDNIGHT. MORE HEADS ARE OPENING EVER SO SLIGHTLY. MORE UPDATES TO COME
03 12 14 03 12am.JPG

YES I FINALLY GOT THE HAIR ALGAE UNDER CONTROL BUT IT WAS AFTER THAT THE DUNCAN DECIDED NOT TO OPEN.

How exactly did you get your algae under control?
GFO maybe?
You can overdose the GFO. If you are using GFO, I'd pull it offline for a bit just to see if that makes any difference.
And related, if your tests are accurate, your po4 is pretty dang low. You'd be starving your coral at that point.
FWIW, my duncans are in the lower part of the tank but in full light and getting moderate flow.
But they need more than light to thrive. Food, whether it's target fed or just floating in the water column is necessary.

I have several tangs who pick at my rocks but i have zero nuisance algae, no GFO use in months, and my po4 is well over .1

I HAD THE DUNCAN UP FRONT & IN THE LIGHT AND IT WAS NOT OPENING. I JUST MOVED IT ON MARCH 10 TO BE BACK IN LESS LIGHT AND IT STARTING TO OPEN MORE EVERY NIGHT.

03 14 14 01 12am.JPG

YES I FINALLY GOT THE HAIR ALGAE UNDER CONTROL BY CUTTING BACK ON THE WHITE & BLUE LIGHTS. ONCE IT WAS GONE I SLOWLY INCREASED THE LIGHTS BACK TO WHERE THEY WERE.

Is it possible someone is irritating it? I know with mine my cleaner shrimp was all over that thing like a chubby kid on cupcakes! And it would never open. I just moved it to the other end of my tank now it's open all day long. Good thing my shrimp isn't too bright.
I wish the pair I had wasn't smart. They decided that my bubble coral looked nommy so they killed it, I wasn't too happy about that. Sketchy little bastids:mad:!

I'm going to go with current on this one. I keep mine in low flow. The mp40 knocks them around a bit and then they'll close up. If a coral stays closed for more than a few days then it is an issue. Months would completely kill them off.

Hope it is getting better but just to let you know my branching Duncan is high in tank under lights and in strong indirect flow and loves it. I have had it hear for 6 months and went from 12 heads to 26 in that six months. From a lot of reading duncan have very wide preferences I just read on another site someone finally moved it to high in tank and finally opened after a problem like yours. the logic doesn't make sense but it theorized that the duncan is staying closed to conserve energy. Who knows but it worked. Just my thoughts. hope it goes well.

03 19 14 02 PROGRESS.jpg

IT HAS BEEN A WEEK SINCE I MOVED THE DUNCAN FROM THE FRONT TO THE BACK. I MOVED IT TO THE TOP OF THE TANK IN MORE LIGHT. PHOTO SHOWS TIME BETWEEN PICTURES.

Wow that fast , Is that the most you have seen it open? if so, obviousely it is happier. Now just leave it and don't get worried if opens and closes often. I would expect those tentacles will get longer the happier it gets with light and food. Maybe try feeding mysis soon. Please keep us posted on progress

Back