Duncan's getting ponies!! 40g column build

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
So after some careful consideration I've decided that I'll have family get me stuff to set up a pony tank. It started because I found a 40 gallon collumn tank and stand at Petco that was on mega clearence for less than $100:

40gcollumn2.jpg

40gcollumn.jpg

Yeah, I know my house looks like crap :/

That's all I have now, I'm trying to decide whether to do a sump or not. I don't even think I could fit a 10g down there and I would need to use an overflow box so I don't even know if it's worth it.

I think I'm just going to use my Remora Pro that's currently on my reef and use this external skimmer that I got used for really cheap on the 55. That way I get a 2 in 1 deal so I can clean up the look of the reef and have a skimmer for my future ponies at the same time.

I'm probably going to hold off on corals for a few months but I plan on getting a 150 or 250 watt HQI pendant down the road since the tank is so deep.

So...yeah, I'll have a lot more stuff to show around xmas time and I'll take any sea horse advice I can get.

You should be fine with lots of live rock, the remora skimmer and I would put calurpa in it as well (your ponies will hang onto it) and it will help keep your tank clean.

I saw a tank almost just like that at Petsmart last night and it was on sale for $199 so I think you got a great deal. Your ponies will like the height on that tank.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I won't be able to set it up until christmas time because most of this equipment is coming from my mom for xmas. And even if I do get stuff early she insists I can't fill it til she says so ..... :grumble: . And before anyone says I'm spoiled, I'm getting her a Blackberry Storm for xmas!! And she'll probably never figure out how to use it. lol.

I have lots of extra equipment floating around so all I really need is sand, rock, and a powerhead I think. Don't know what I want to do for live rock yet though, I'm thinking Bali. Pretty sure I wanna go with just one Koralia 4 in the corner pointing diagonally, or maybe a 3. Hmm.

I'm definetly not rushing this one, as I'm pretty occupied with my 55, so you probably won't see ponies til late January/ early February.

ugh and I really gotta sand/stain the floor in my living room, that's just embarrassing. I keep saying I'm gonna do it but It's a PITA with 2 St. Bernards running around wrecking everything.

Very awesome tank for seahorses. I would suggest against a k4 I really really don't think you will be able to keep your sand down with that.

YEAH, another seahorse keeper! What kind of horses are you getting? H. Erectus are good for first-timers. I found the BEST place to get them. Seahorse Source, the ultimate place for captive bred seahorses.. You want to research thoroughly the place you get your horses from to avoid getting wild-caught. Many places sell WC even though it is illegal and WC horses have parasites. You want to get a wide variety of macro algae and keep ONLY soft corals. They really love finger leathers and gorgonians. Feel free to PM with questions! WooT!!!!!!!!! Here's another place full of information: Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium.. Join the discussion group.

Catherine

That's all I have now, I'm trying to decide whether to do a sump or not. I don't even think I could fit a 10g down there and I would need to use an overflow box so I don't even know if it's worth it.

Horses are pigs, they've got great big purple poops, you want as much water mass as possible. Also, I wouldn't put the plastic stuff on the sides, you'll want to see in!

C

Can I also strongly suggest to stay away from "Live" live rock? Horses crawl all over rocks and bristleworms put nasty sores on them. I'm getting rid of all mine and switching to dead rock brought back to life.

C

Can I also strongly suggest to stay away from "Live" live rock? Horses crawl all over rocks and bristleworms put nasty sores on them. I'm getting rid of all mine and switching to dead rock brought back to life.

C

Bristle worms will show up in any rock in your tank as well as in the sand. You will need to get a control for them if they are the ponies. A coral banded shrimp does awesome to eat up bristle worms. as well as an arrow crab.,

Wow I can tell you're totally stoked Picasso, thanks for all the info.

My LFS has captive bred Hippocampus Reidis. I know for a fact that they eat frozen and are in great health because I worked there for awhile.

I have this peice of bali rock that looks really stupid in my tank so I'm gonna put that in there with some dead bali if I can find any.

And yeah, I'm definetly only doing a few soft corals in there. But that won't be for a while since I can't afford a MH pendant right now.

Like I said, I can't even fill it til after xmas, so I have plenty of time to stock up on info. So keep it comin :)

:bounce: I'm so totally stoked to FINALLY have a pony buddy!:bounce:

I'm sooooo glad you found CB horses that are eating well. Also, start looking into macro algae, the horses love it. The guy at the site I sent you: <head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae is writing a book about the care of macro but in the mean time do your research. Some of the macro's are almost as pretty as a coral and they do help keep your nitrates in line and the horses love to "hitch" onto it. If you have no room for a sump I would strongly recommend them. Can you take your camera to your LFS and shoot your ponies? Would love to see pics. Where did he get them? Also, you might want to get the official shirt of the seahorse keeper: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Junk-Food-Aquaman-Seahorse-T-Shirt/dp/B000WNEJ1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1261073354&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Aquaman - Seahorse T-Shirt: Clothing[/ame]

I'm trying to find one with Mera (Aquaman's wife) riding her steed.

Keep posting!!!!!

Catherine

Back