Dying coral - remove from tank or let rot?

Mike_630l

Reefing newb
Hi,

I have a colony polyp that I believe is dying/dead. I do see that it is slowing rotting, but do I take it out the tank or let it rot in the tank? I am leaning towards taking it out, but I don't want to give up hope of survival.

most of us strive to keep nitrate levels down.A good target is less than 0.2 ppm nitrate.. Reef tanks can function acceptably at much higher nitrate levels lets just for shits and giggles say, 20 ppm, but run greater risks of the problems. so 2.5 that's in my book is something to be concerned with. Because from what I know some corals fish and other life forms do not like high nitrates. just to put this out there many of the bad algae love high nitrates its food/fuel for them. this could cause you a algae issue if let go for to long if not already. i just what to put that out there

most of us strive to keep nitrate levels down.A good target is less than 0.2 ppm nitrate.. Reef tanks can function acceptably at much higher nitrate levels lets just for shits and giggles say, 20 ppm, but run greater risks of the problems. so 2.5 that's in my book is something to be concerned with. Because from what I know some corals fish and other life forms do not like high nitrates. just to put this out there many of the bad algae love high nitrates its food/fuel for them. this could cause you a algae issue if let go for to long if not already. i just what to put that out there

I do have some brown algae. I am looking into reducing Nitrates over the next 2 weeks, just weighing up different options.

Water changes can be your first thing to do. That will help. Let your water mix for 24 hours before you do a water change.

What kind of filtration are you running??

Nitrates at 2.5 is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion, especially since you are talking about zoas here. They are not considered sensitive corals when it comes to nitrates. I wouldn't remove it from the tank unless you are certain it's dead. Right now, it doesn't look dead from the picture you posted. Just dying.

Nitrates at 2.5 is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion, especially since you are talking about zoas here. They are not considered sensitive corals when it comes to nitrates. I wouldn't remove it from the tank unless you are certain it's dead. Right now, it doesn't look dead from the picture you posted. Just dying.

Thanks, I was leaning towards your opinion myself. That picture is about 3 days old now, I took it out last night after which the "nodes" where completely brown and no signs of health or life.

I am thinking that it must of been disease or critters that annoyed it so much to close up and pretty much starve itself to death.

Back