electric box?

little_fish

So in the stand I am building I would like to be able to switch things on and off instead of unplugging them. I am curious as to if they make electrical boxes that I can plug into and then each outlet is controlled by an individual switch.

Can someone give me a like to one of these things that would work well for our tanks?

Ive seen a lot of people use the American DJ power switch
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332725161&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: American Dj Pc-100A Rack Mount Power Switcher: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Somebody will build you one Hanna ,. If you can't get anyone local , send me some plans and i'll build u one - no charge 'cause i like you .

A trip through the electric isle in a hard ware store and 20 dollars later, I could build one

I would love to see what you could come up with for $20. If you did come up with something I would love to see it! I had looked into it and found the American DJ switcher to be much more cost effective and it also looks nice seeing all those switches lit up.

I would love to see what you could come up with for $20. If you did come up with something I would love to see it! I had looked into it and found the American DJ switcher to be much more cost effective and it also looks nice seeing all those switches lit up.

Switches and outlets are 50 cents each. Wire is free. Got that crap laying around. Boxes are a buck fifty or so. Since it is going in the stand, doesn't need to be pretty. Basically, it would be your standard wall switches and such.

Hannah, I used the 8 outlet American DJ switch and it was great. I'll see tomorrow if I can get you a pick of how I had it setup before my tank came down (they're on my computer not in my photobucket account).

Switches and outlets are 50 cents each. Wire is free. Got that crap laying around. Boxes are a buck fifty or so. Since it is going in the stand, doesn't need to be pretty. Basically, it would be your standard wall switches and such.

Ok, I gotta know, where are you shopping? I have wire by the mile but my Home Depot is charging 2.50 each for switches and outlets!

do these switch boxes have one outlet cord? so they basically upscaled powerstrips?

Really funny side note: my computer wants me to change powerstrips to powerstripas

I guess that is going to be how awesome this all going to be when im done!

Yep one power cord. Ive seen some with 4 switches all the way up to 40 switches. All on one cord. If you search amazon you will come across the others. Or if you have a guitar center nearby, they carry all the different models.

I need a total of 12 outlets, so I think i will get two 8 outlet units and then have lots of room to plug and play :)

That's a good idea because me of our equipment has the bigger plugs that require more space then one outlet. Plus, it'll give you space in case you add equipment later on.

Back