Electrical Help Post-Flood, please!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Had a major flood today, return line from my sump snapped, and all of my cords were doused in saltwater. I've had everything plugged into GFCI adapters (thank goodness), but I can't get the one that my lights were plugged into to reset. I pulled everything out and dried it, and have let it sit for a few hours now. The main adapter I was using was a 5 outlet adapter that plugged into both sockets on a regular outlet. Even after unplugging it from the outlet and drying it, I'd get big flashes of light when I tried to plug it back in, and when I'd try to reset it. I happen to have an extra GFCI adapter hanging around that only plugs in to a single socket, so I plugged that in to the top socket to see if it was socket related, and didn't get a flash of light. Plugged one of my AI Sols into it and the light came on and all was well. Plugged the second one in and it tripped the GFCI and I couldn't get it to reset. Unplugged the second one, reset it, and the first light is still working fine, not tripping the plug. So I unplugged the first light and tried to plug in the second light to see if the problem was the second light or having two plugged in at the same time. The second light still tripped the circut even when it was the only light plugged in. What can I do to fix it? Does this mean my second AI Sol light is fried? I am so totally bummed about all of this :(

It's the power supply cord to one of the lights that is causing the problem. I tried it with a different GFCI on a different outlet and it still causes the circut to trip. There is definitely arcing happening on the original outlet when I plug the GFCI in to it. I'm actually afraid to plug the problem power supply cord in to a regular outlet without a GFCI. A friend suggested I place it in a container of rice to pull out the extra moisture, but it will still be loaded with salt (I can see salt coming out the sides of the unit). I've called the place I bought it from, but am doubtful they will replace it since warrenty doesn't cover accidents. A replacement power supply is $50. Should I just scrap it at this point?

If it was me, I'd pony up the 50.00 and get the new power supply. Accidents happen, you can'y really beat yourself up over it. But better to start fresh than chance a disaster with a questionable power supply. I'd also replace the GFCI wall socket.

If it was me, I'd pony up the 50.00 and get the new power supply. Accidents happen, you can'y really beat yourself up over it. But better to start fresh than chance a disaster with a questionable power supply. I'd also replace the GFCI wall socket.

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. As for the GFCI - it was an adapter (the 5 outlet version of this Aquarium Electrical Safety: Shock Buster Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter GFCI), not an in-wall socket. The tank is at my office so I'd need to put in a requisition order to ask to have the in-wall socket replaced. Do you think I need to? Or should I just not use that socket from here on out? Asking to have the socket replaced is not going to be an easy thing on all sorts of levels, the least of which is that its actually located smack dab behind the stand with only about 3-4 inches of room.

Have you tried plugging anything else into that socket? Your 2nd GFCI shouldn't trip the circuit if it does then the outlet will need to be replaced, the residual salt/water may still be in it.

The adaptor that you have definitely sounds bad, and I would get another one.

A business may object to having the outlet changed by a non-licensed person.

+1 Kev. Not to mention that I have absolutely no clue how to change a socket, believe that the circut breaker is in an area of the building that I don't have access to, and would likely electrocute myself in the process. So no, I won't be changing it myself.

The upside is that there are two sets of outlets near the tank - one behind and one on the side. I'd been using the one behind for the lights and skimmer, and the one on the side for the heater, powerheads, and return pump. For now, I'm just using the one on the side and not plugging anything in to the one behind the tank that was arcing whenever I tried to plug the 5-outlet adapter back into it. Even if I leave it to dry out for a few days, there will still be salt in it, which can't possibly be good since it conducts electricity also.

Have you tried plugging anything else into that socket? Your 2nd GFCI shouldn't trip the circuit if it does then the outlet will need to be replaced, the residual salt/water may still be in it.

The adaptor that you have definitely sounds bad, and I would get another one.

No, I haven't tried plugging anything else in to it other than the good GFCI adapter that I had as a back-up. That one I plugged into the top plug and it was okay with the good light plugged into it but would trip with the bad light. I haven't tried anything else, and I'm nervous to try something that isn't plugged in to a GFCI adapter given that the bottom socket was arching yesterday.

Let it sit another day and plug your other GFCI into that lower socket. If you feel something crunching or it arcs again then that outlet is going to be a no go for you. If it does not arc then I would plug a fan or lamp into the GFCI and turn it on to see what happens. Either way make sure that you are using drip loops on all your cords. I've never really been a fan of outlets right behind the tank just a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Back