EliWhitney314's 40 reef tank

Eli those look too damn good man! I think you're gonna have to start sending some of those to me. Your tank is just getting to crowded. :mrgreen: You picture taking skills are too damn good too. :grumble: :bowdown:

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Great pictures! I have a question about your photography. Obviously you take the pics with the tank lights on. Is the rest of your room dark? I'm wondering how you get such a nice dark background and the colors of everything standing out so well. When I take pics of my tank, everything seems washed out no matter what I do with the white balance. I would like more contrast like your pictures. Unfortunately, my tank is also in a very large room with lots of windows and a big sliding glass door opposite the tank, so it's nearly impossible to get the room dark... Even at night, it's lit up from everything else in the house since the living room is pretty much open on two sides.

What's your lighting set up for pics? :mrgreen:

Well Biff, I would say my lights are normally off. I only keep my blue actinics on usually. I get as close to the tank as I can, completely zoomed in. I always have the camera on the flower setting/ close up, and I have the flash on. I also always keep a straight angle or the object dead ahead. I hope that helps Biff.

Well Biff, I would say my lights are normally off. I only keep my blue actinics on usually. I get as close to the tank as I can, completely zoomed in. I always have the camera on the flower setting/ close up, and I have the flash on. I also always keep a straight angle or the object dead ahead. I hope that helps Biff.

Those pics were taken with the flash on? That really surprises me. Turning off the flash is supposed to be one of the biggest rules of aquarium photography. Whenever I have tried with the flash on, the colors have come out all weird looking and I get a reflection from the glass. Maybe the flash is balanced out by your actinics? I'll have to try that this weekend with my tank! Thanks!

Back