Emerald Crab Molting???

FNG44601

Reefing newb
The wife called me this morning and says there's an Emerald Crab body (parts n all) on the substrate..... Just wondering if this is just him molting??? Thing is I have 60lbs of live rock that are being delivered today, how long should I give him? Just a lil afraid to move rocks and he's in there nekkid!- with the whole puffer situation, who knows!!?? But so far so good with the experiment- small snails are disappearing though she says!!! :)

Emeralds will molt frequently. You'll probably see the crab in a couple days. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When they molt, it looks like a little crab.

not to mention, they molt after they have almost fully developed a new little crab underneath the old shell. No problems, he is fine for sure, unless you own a trigger, in which case he was probably lunch.

-Doc

pink tails are probably the best bet for reef tanks. They are really passive. just in case, tho...keep Tangent well fed

-Doc

If your puffer got ahold of your crab it would eat the whole thing. Including the shell. Crabs/shrimp molt about once a month. My coral band used to eat his own molt too.

Both the shrimp and the crab molted--- and Man they came back BUFF- really amazing! Everything's still going cool with the puffer- small crabs and snails are MINIMAL but figure it as cost of doing business... lol now my next question is what the hell am I going to use as a clean up crew?

Right Hawk!!! I've got a couple of HUGE turbos- they work on the glass but not much towards the sandbed. Gonna try some Fighting Conchs and as bad as I don't want a lawnmower blenny counting against my bioload- I think I may have to buckle

Back