Emergency have a problem

smiley4284

Reefing newb
2 of my saltwater fish have developed white dots on them. Lice -Like. And one has a cloudy white eye. Also the scale has developed discoloration. They are black striped fish and it looks like white chalk like patches in some areas with the white dots on the fins mostly. Is this lice or Ich. And if its Ich has anyone tried Rid Ich plus? Does it work? Thanks

sounds like ich and the best way to kill it is to qt the fish and treat with copper but i have never seen a clousy eye caused by ich that could be some kimd of bacterial infection

most Ich medications arent good for saltwater tanks (they have a warning on the label) so i would assume the one you are talking about is the same. You could try a freshwater dip and see if it helps. What are your water parameters? Also, are those fish new?

I will agree with everyone with the spots as being ich. The eye that is cloudy could be the start of popeye. Could be caused by bad water conditions, or fighting, and one of your fish stuck him in the eye. Quarantine the fish. Fresh water dip might work. I would not pour the chemical in your show tank to treat ich.

if you do, do a freshwater dip be very careful, know what your doing, and dont not for one second leave the bucket
+1 Dustin. VEry important to watch the fish the whole time he is in there. If he starts going sideways and cannot stay upright, chances are that you wont bring him back.

Hello, I am trying the dip. And it seems to be working. The white dots seem to be subsided. My water parameters are good, not perfect. The nitrate level is not 0 but its close. They are pretty new 2 butterflies maybe 3 weeks since Ive had them. But they eat everything. THey ate a damsel that died in my tank. I will never shop at petco again. I pretty sure that the fish was infected. Thanks everyone for help.

+2 dustin Be very careful when to freshwater dip the fish, dont walk away from the fish while he is in the bucket. The purpose of a freshwater dip is the kill all the bacteria on the fish! Good Luck!

Hello, I am trying the dip. And it seems to be working. The white dots seem to be subsided. My water parameters are good, not perfect. The nitrate level is not 0 but its close. They are pretty new 2 butterflies maybe 3 weeks since Ive had them. But they eat everything. THey ate a damsel that died in my tank. I will never shop at petco again. I pretty sure that the fish was infected. Thanks everyone for help.

Well it says your tank has been running for 1 month. If so did you make sure your cycle was over before you added fish. Also once your cycle is over the best way to add fish is slowly. Rule of thumb 1 every 3 weeks so you dont overload your bioload and crash the tank. Just noticed that and thought it could help you out in the future.

Petco fish are notorious for being diseased and sick. I hope the dip ends up helping them. If it doesn't, you will have to quarantine them to use any sort of medication.

Back