Epoxy and/or Glue for Corals and Rock

x19

Reefing newb
What does everyone recommend for epoxy or glue to bind together live rock, and coral onto live rock. I got some grey putty from a lfs (upscale aquatics...absolutely awful shop) and it has been basically useless. Its grey, came in a clear tube and did not have a brand name.

I can't remember the name of it but there is an epoxy that is two different colors and your mix it till it's one color then use it, that works well. Or, you can use super glue gel. It works well too, just make sure you get the gel because the liquid will be too runny.

Until recently I was using super glue, but that's not very practical b/c you can't use it under water.
Recently I got the 2 part epoxy putty that Brian was talking about. It works well for cementing stuff in place. The really big problem I have with it however is that as soon as it goes in the water it produces a slimy film on it and gets on your fingers ect. It killed my monti frag b/c the film on my fingers rubbed onto the monti and wouldn't come off... result=death of my brand new monti frag =(

I'd like to add that it was mainly because I was trying to mount the frag to the side of one of my large base live rocks, so my fingers were all over it trying to get it in position. If your careful and don't wipe the film all over top you should be ok.

Last edited:
How quickly does the glue cure underwater? Do you have to hold it together for 15 minutes underwater?

I can't remember the name of it but there is an epoxy that is two different colors and your mix it till it's one color then use it, that works well.

IMO this stuff sucks....I can never get it to work.... Use Superglue gel.

No, you don't need to hold it. Just squirt (use superglue gel, it's thicker), press, and leave it alone. It takes a few minutes to cure, but superglue gel works great underwater.

IMO this stuff sucks....I can never get it to work.... Use Superglue gel.

+1

I used aquamend in the past which is an epoxy that cures underwater and it didn't stick to anything but my hands. I had the same results my first time using superglue. But now I use the superglue gel with very generous amounts while making sure to not get it on my fingers hold whatever your gluing in place for about 30 seconds and voila!

The truth is that neither product is the greatest. Can't someone come up with something that is easy and works most every time? :frustrat:

So I tried using super glue, when I put the rock in the water the glue came off immediately and formed a film on the top of the tank. Trying again did nothing to hold the live rock rubble with coral to the live rock. The putty is working at the moment, but damn its ugly.

the putty is ugly at first but, it's just like dry rock, eventually it'll get growth on it and you won't even notice the putty. If you decide to use the superglue again, let it dry for about 20-30 seconds before putting it in the water, that should keep it from coming right off of the coral

the putty is ugly at first but, it's just like dry rock, eventually it'll get growth on it and you won't even notice the putty. If you decide to use the superglue again, let it dry for about 20-30 seconds before putting it in the water, that should keep it from coming right off of the coral

I'll definitely try glue again as I'm out of putty :-)

Like someone else said, there really is no good way to do it. Superglue works, but when I use it, I use the entire tube to stick one thing down.

For corals I kinda keep most of it submerged and apply a ton of superglue gel to the base out of water and quickly stick it to something and hold it til I see the glue lose its transparency meaning it's cured. Regular superglue will cure the instant it touches saltwater though.

Back