Equalizing water temperature for change out

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Equalizing temperature is not so easy. Its cold in the northeast and I must filter my water in advance and it sits on the cold basement floor. The "floating 1G jugs of water in the aquarium" method would, I think, bring the temperature down too much. I'm told 3 degree F change in 24 hours is too much. I guess I could heat the 1G jugs somehow. Any ideas?

A related question: I've scuba dived in a lot of places and its amazing how the temperature can drop when you put your arm down through a thermal! Swimming down through even the first thermal layer can be cold as hell.
How do tropical marine fish tolerate this sudden, drastic change --or do they?

Have you considered getting a plastic trash can and a heater for it with a small powerhead? The powerhead is to make the water circulate around and keep 'cool' water rolling past the heater. You could even get a top for the can to help prevent heat loss. I've heard it suggested and it's my current plan.

Also, how about a chunk of styrofoam between the water and the floor? Cheap enough to get a small piece from Menards.

What about a rubber without the maid? Then you have no chances of getting the evil Maid Ick disease, but can still get your own temperature higher.

I would pick up a small heater and just keep it in the rubbermaid tub. I use plastic trashcans for making new water (do not use metal), with a powerhead and small heater.

Yep,Just get a 30 gallon trash can,a power head,and a heater.
That way you can warm the water while mixing it.

I live in Michigan and I use the rubbermaid trash can, and I had to purchase a heater. That's the only way to go when you live in the snow belt!

Back