Equipment help for big tank!

mykaskew

Reefing newb
Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and I'm after some advice of your experienced selves!

Has anyone had/got/ know of someone who has had a 3800 litre tank?

I am wondering what sort of sump size and equipment I am going to need for this tank..

Cheers,

Mike

3800 Liters is a lot of gallons...
Roughly 1000 Gallons. You'll need a big sump, and a big skimmer. A long with much more stuff.
Can you give me some background? What are you planning on putting in there? Reef, or fish only? So on. It will be massively expensive.

A fair few bob.
Your best bet is to look online. No idea about any of the vendors in England, haven't been there in 3 years.
I'm no expert, but I shall give it a shot.
You will need a skimmer rated for 1500 gallons, a decent sized sump, maybe a 200 gallon or something, the skimmer will have to be external at a rough guess, a lot of lights, Halides to penetrate the tanks depth, a huge amount of rock, a lot of salt, dont know what you could use for powerheads in a tank that size.
But just from that, you could easily top 10k IMO.

10k, I would think thats a bit low :/ My thoughts would be that the tank would cost that much!

Oh I was just naming the price for those things I just listed, hahaha.
It will be an insane amount of money.
Its not the sort of tank you put in your house, but rather build a house around.

I spent $2,000 (US) on lights for my 240 gallon reef tank. I'm thinking you will probably be approaching $10,000 US on lights alone!

Most people with tanks that size don't keep them as reefs because of the cost of equipment (and electricity), they keep them as predator tanks because so many of the large, non-reef safe predator fish require a huge tank.

Just for a rough estimate, I was planning on a 240g upgrade and for everything I need the cost came out to $7,500-9,500 (USD). And that was for a tank a 1/4 of the size, so IMO you'd be looking at over $25,000 USD easily.

Thanks Alot for your replies.

I Am debating using it as a predator tank sharks rays etc

Like you said it is one you "build the house around" and that is exactly what Im doing! Haha

Back