Eshopps Auto Top-Off Float Valve

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
Can anyone explain to me how the Eshopps Auto Top-Off Float Valve works? I get that you hook it onto either your main tank or sump, and that as water in your tank/sump evaporates the float valve falls triggering RO water from a supplied reservoir or RO/DI unit to be added to your tank/sump. However, I don't understand how the float valve triggers the RO water to feed into your tank/sump. What I'm trying to get at is: How does the Float Valve send water to your tank/sump? Do you need to buy a pump separately and attach it to the Float Valve in order for it work? :-?

When the water level drops and the float valve drops, it opens a valve that lets water pass. It needs to be fed via gravity. In other words, the container holding the water has to be above the sump or tank (where ever the float is located). You can't use a pump because....well, what would turn it on/off? It would always be running, but not pumping anything if the valve is closed.
If you want to feed it with a pump, you need an electronic float switch, not a float valve.

Back