Excessive Dendrite Issues

Coral Commander

Reefing newb
There appears to be an excessive amount of dendrite in not only my tank but also in my sump. It has accumulated over a period of time despite the water changes and protein skimmer that is in the tank. I have been unable to siphon it, especially in the sump since it is so low to the ground. Does anyone have any idea how I can remove this stuff? I really hate seeing it in the tank because when it gets stirred up it clouds the water until it all settles down to the bottom again.

Do you mean detritus? Because dendrite means either the part of a tree, and it's a part of a cell.

If it's detritus, do as Reeffreak said and connect some vinyl tubing to the end of a powerhead, and suck it up.

Powerheads suck in one end, and blow out the other. Attach a tub to the end that blows, and put it in a bucket. Put the powerhead about the detritus, and it will suck it up with the water. A cheap little MaxiJet works the best for this technique.

Re: Excessive Detritus Issues

Bifferwine: haha sorry, I meant to say detritus. I have only slept a few hours. Thanks for the idea, I will try it. Now about the trees in my yard..

I thought I was the one with the idea?

My idea was to stick the hose on the end that sucks and put the powerhead in a bucket.Use the hose end to suck up the muck in the sump.

Last edited:
Back