Expecting Power Outage

jswinberlin

Reefing newb
I'm on the East Coast and with hurricane Sandy coming I'm expecting some periods of power outage. I've already had 1 for 1/2 hour but the power is back on now. Just wondering what precautions or plans might be good to have in order.

I did a water change and gravel vac earlier 3 gallons of 45 gallons and replaced with new salt water like I do at least once a week. My water temp is around 74 degrees and I've turned up the heater a notch from 75 to 79. When the power went out, I started siphoning out 5 gallons of water using a drip acclimation that I use for new fish. Basically, it is dripping through a pre-filter type thing you would put on a protein skimmer. I thought when the power went out that I would drip off like 5 gallons of water to recycle to help keep it fresh and to keep some oxygen exchange. I also piled 3 blankets on as soon as the power went out.

The first power outage was a fire drill. I'm still raising the temperature and dripping off the water but I've removed the blankets.

Just wondering if anyone had any input. I also have 5 gallons of fresh RO water ready. Does anyone have any idea how long I can expect to be able to maintain things in the event of a long power outage?

If the power goes out, as long as you stir the water in the tank every once in a while you should be fine for awhile. The water can stand still for around 4 hours before fish start to die. And wrapping in blankets will help keep the temp steady. For longer power outages it is best to prepare in advance with battery powered air pumps, battery back-up systems, or a generator. Where are you located? Are you expecting your power to be off for a long time (day+) or for hours at a time?

Back