Extinct Coral?

Marke86

Coral Junkie
You guys are going to kill me but i did not get the name of this coral but it looks like a spagetti finger leather and is a beautiful green color. They told me it became extinct and was only available through fraging. IT COST 150 DOLLARS! but thats not the catch it really impressed me because it was extinct. and I had a crazy ass dream last night that I walked into a fish store and coral was so expensive because all the reefs died. That was so freakin weird. Ill get the name of it. If sombody can tell me by this info please do or shout out a name it will ring a bell prolly.

thanx
Mark

Sounds like its probably a green nepthia.
But I dont their extinct,but wild colonies are on endangered list and illegal to harvest.

Did it look like this?

P1190009.jpg

the green nepthia is growing like weeds in my tank. if they are going extinct, I have a gold mine in my fish tank. I am just about ready to cut hunks out of my tank and throw it out. this pic is months old and the nepthia is out of control!

-Doc

Capt is right, it's not extinct if you have a piece of it. Extinct means does not exist anywhere on this planet, in captivity or in the wild.

Is it this: http://users.adelphia.net/~kmagyar/org/blog/090606/images/colonies/nepthia2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f361/ray039/PICT0041.jpg

It sounds like a green nepthia to me, and if it is, you kinda got ripped off :( Not only are they fairly common, but they are fast growers and easy to frag. A woman in my local reef club gives green nepthia away free to other members because it grows so fast...

no I did not buy it I just thought it was cool looking a was bitchin about spending 150 on a protein skimmer I was just wondering what it was .

I went to day it was already sold it was a GREEN TREE PLOW thats not correct spelling I think it pleau but thats how you say it. I got a new coral why I was there its a hammer but its a wall hammer so it was like 30 dollars cheaper than a branching hammer! Ill get pics soon

Last edited:
I have a wall hammer and it is massive and beautiful. there is one risk with getting them and that is that the whole coral is one polyp. If it gets sick, you lose the entire coral. With a branching hammer (I have one of those as well), if a polyp gets sick, you can break it off when it dies and it does not effect the rest of the colony. Wall hammers are still easy to keep and a good choice for corals

-Doc

Back