Fairy Wrasse Acting Different

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
My large male red velvet fairy wrasse has been acting different the last few days - hiding, not eating, not being social.... I've had him for just about a year and he is the dominant wrasse in the tank. I caught a glimpse of him today and I didn't see evidence of ich or injury though he wasn't swimming as well as he normally does. It appears as if he can't use his tail fin anymore, though I see no visible injury. Any ideas as to what might be going on with him?

I'm worried that I'm going to lose him, and that if I do lose him he's going to cause my tank to cycle. He's chosen the middle stack of rocks to hide in and I won't be able to get him out if he dies. My cuc has dwindled a bit and I think I'm down to just a small handful of nassarius snails, 2 brittle stars, and whatever hitchhiker micro brittles, bristleworms, etc. there are (still have plenty of algae eating snails, just not many carnivores/detritivours).

Last edited:
If he dies, go get a handful of hermits. He could be an old fish dying naturally, but I would wait a few days before doing anything. Moving him could stress him enough to kill him, which is up to you to take that risk.

I doubt him dying would cause a cycle, likely just a spike. Like I said, grab some hermits and they'll make quick work, as will any bristleworms.

That is a bad feeling when your fish isn't being itself and you can't put your finger on the problem. Hopefully it will turn around.

If the worst does happen I don't think you will notice any parameter changes. It won't take a lot of scavengers to take care of it. Good luck!

Thanks everyone

I doubt moving to a hospital tank is possible - he's behind the rocks and I can't break down my rock structure to get him (its epoxied in place) - besides it would create a great deal of stress not only for him, but also for all of my other fish and corals.

Angie, I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with the same thing. So frustrating! Actually, more than frustrating because I at least feel helpless - he's clearly not his happy self and I wish I could do something to make it better....

He spent part of the day trying to get some rest in the rocks, but my tang kept flicking him with her tail and backing up into him (they normally spend a chunk of the day hanging out and swimming together). He started to splay out his back fins a few times throughout the day but still looked unsteady swimming. My friend with reefing experience wonders if he may have gotten stung by something in my tank. Good question! I have a few aiptasia (I know, I've been putting off dealing with them), a few torches and frogspawns, and a tuxedo urchin. I suppose one of those could have stung him. I did finally catch the giant emerald crab and move it to the sump so at least I know that guy didn't get him. The big unknown is that we had pesticides sprayed at my office a few days ago. I shut off the skimmer and ran a polyfilter pad, and didn't see any effects on the corals or inverts, which I would have expected to show signs first. No other fish are showing any changes and I do have more sensitive fish in my system than the RVFW, so I would think if it were related to the pesticides I would have seen reactions from corals/inverts or other fish first, but that is a possibility.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he pulls through, but who knows. He's a large, super fat, and well adjusted fish. Please keep in your thoughts my friends!

[And Angie my thoughts will be with your wrasse as well!]

Last edited:
Still alive, but not any better. I wish I could pull this guy and put him in his own tank to recover. And I really wish I knew what was going on with him :(

Update on my Exquisite Wrasse... he is currently being eaten by my pink brittle and cleaner shrimp :( I am heartbroken. I hope yours gets better, Fishy :(

I am sorry Angie :(

Mine is still alive, but barely and is very distressed. He's totally upside down and swims in circles when he tries to swim. He's breathing heavily and clearly distressed. The only idea I have for illness is swim bladder issues. I managed to catch him today and placed him a critter cage with holes in the tank. I'm going to transfer him home tonight and try to treat him with maracyn. I think I'll be using my 10g to treat him in. That tank has been fallow for 6 months and has been through a maracyn treatment before, so I know the corals that are in there are hardy enough to handle it. I have no other ideas and will probably lose him regardless. If anyone has advice or ideas, please chime in!

RIP fishy :(

He made it home and into the treatment tank, but died a few hours into treatment. I knew it was a last ditch effort. I wish I could have gotten him out sooner. How do you guys go about catching sick fish who are hiding in the rocks?

Back