Favorite Fish Ever?

OurFishies

Reef-aholic
Out of curiosity (trying to decide what fish to get next). What is your absolute favorite reef safe fish that you have kept?

Mine at the moment is our pearly jawfish. So much personality!:sfish:

I will add what I have for fun anyways:
Royal Gramma
Purple Firefish
Yellow Watchman Goby
Mandarin Goby
Sixline Wrasse
Yellowtail Damsel

I think that is all of them...

Hmmm well for a 50 gal, any type of blenny would be cool.

Not my fav fish, and if you are wanting reef safe within reason I'd rock a flame angel.

I forgot the bicolor blenny! We had a lawnmower early on, but lost him. I do love blennies! They are a must have.

I was told that a flame angel is not reef safe. They are very very pretty fish. Do you have one? Have you had any issues with your coral?

Hmmm. I will have to look into what we have and what they will go after. I have been trying to talk him into a flame angel or a coral beauty and he keeps telling me that they would eat the coral. I need to look more closely for sure.

We are going to get a tang one of these days, just can't decide on what kind to get!

We have a lot of small fish, not very many larger ones at the moment. I don't know if we have room for many more so I am trying to carefully sort out which ones to get!

I've had my flame angel for over a year now,and he's not touched any of my corals that I know of.BUT,there is that 50/50 chance that he MIGHT.
I'd avoid the tang,unless you plan on a bigger tank in the near future.Tangs need a lot of room to swim.

My favorite fish in my system are the bartlett anthias especailly the male.I can't quite recommend them for that size system though.They like to eat and eat often.

I have no idea what you have courrently,so some may not be compatible with what you have.

Purple firefish
helfrichi firefish
picasso clownfish
gold stripe maroon clownfish
McCosker's flasher wrasse
Carpenter flasher wrasse

No tang! Eeeek.

My husband is a big anthia fan. I will have to look those fish up.

Leopard wrasse is a pretty fish Biffervine, :D.

I believe I am subject to the "I want a bigger tank now" already - that seems to plague all when they start this hobby!

Be careful with anthias,they are smallish fish but have large appetites.I have to feed mine 2-3 times a day to keep them fat and healthy.

If you have the itching to go bigger...you might as well go for it before you invest to much money in your current one.Then you can have tangs,anthias and leopard wrasse.

I dont have a favorite.I like all my fish the same. Although my yellow watchman looks really cool under the blacklight leds.Maybe ill take a pic tonight :)?

Does it have to be reef safe? lame....

I guess with that restriction, I would have to agree with Alexander and go with the flame angel. I have had several of them over the years and none have touched coral, but will nip at clams. But, I am not a huge clam fan so it works for me. I had a coral beauty in my current set up...:death:... but thanks to flatworms, he is no longer with us. He would have been a close second to the flame angel.

If you are planning on going bigger, I agree to stop spending money on this system and upgrade ASAP. When you do, I always recommend going as big as your home and budget will allow. A 90 is a good sized, medium tank that gives you lots of options, but if you can get into a 125 or larger, things really start working in your favor with bigger fish that just make your heart melt. :Cheers:

-Doc

I agree with RyanG, HiBye you would make a great politician. ;)

We have a feeder in our tank, and we also feed daily, 2-3 time would be hard. That could also mean that the anthias would eat all of the mandarin's food! Mean anthias.

I think I will get the flame angel, and tell my husband you guys said I could. Lol. I think they are beautiful fish.

A larger tank is very tempting. I am tossing around going larger (maybe turning the 50 into a predator tank) or a biocube seahorse tank. I guess I should decide before this one gets too hard to move stuff around...

My coral beauty ran amok on my corals, destroyed a plate and a frogspawn before I tore half my tank apart to catch him. I will never try one again....lol

Back