Favorite salt mix?

Eissie

Reefing newb
I bought instant ocean last time. So im just curious about favorites with everyone.

Also, does salt go bad? I had a hard time keeping it dry when i bought it in a bag this last time. It collected moisture and im a little worried about using it.

Thanks guys.

Kent's is pretty good. They all have benefits and drawbacks, really. Kent's is what I know and have used but reef crystals is good and so is Seachem and Tropic Marin from what I've read.

I rotated between Oceanic, Reef Crystals and Kent Marine salts. Whatever was on sale at the time I needed it. And it's fine to use if it collects some moisture -- I think that's inevitable! That's why I always had a hammer and chisel next to my salt buckets. :)

Oceanic and SeaChem Reef were my go to salts.

If the salt just has a few clumps, then its probably alright to use. But I've noticed that when you use a bag that's more like a concrete block, then it tends to not dissolve very good.

I've been using Salinity.
Seems pricey at first until you realize you need less salt to get to 1.025.
And the bucket is the best bucket ever with the rotating/sealing zip lock top! :)

I use IO reef crystals. The Only salt i have in Sydney is the regular IO salt, and only sometimes. I have to order in the reef crystals.

I have been using Instant Ocean Sea Salt for many years, but mostly because that is the only brand carried by local stores and I did not want to pay for heavy shipping.

After I relocated and restarted my tank, I am now trying out Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

I have been using Instant Ocean Sea Salt for many years, but mostly because that is the only brand carried by local stores and I did not want to pay for heavy shipping.

After I relocated and restarted my tank, I am now trying out Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.

If you buy at least $49 of salt at once (for example the 200 lb box of Reef Crystals), then Drs.Foster&Smith does not charge for shipping. Good price on it too.

What i got my big box for, was almost the same as the single small bag. So if you live in the middle of nowhere like me, id order it lol.

I honestly feel like opening a pet shop just to bleed PU dry lol.

+1 Lisa and Biff - a bucket of salt from DFS and free shipping is the way to go! And I love that they don't add a heavy item charge like most other stores!

Has anyone tried NeoMarine salt from Brightwell Aquatics? I was reading up on this stuff and am very curious to hear what people who have used it think of it.

I've been using Salinity as well, none of the algae issues that i had with red sea pro. plus like said before it takes less salt to get to the proper levels.

Back