feather duster survival

mabbus

Reefing newb
A month ago I set plans to start a new reef aquarium, my first. I did lots of research, made sure I had everything I needed and how I should set things up.

Once I had the tank and sump set up, protein skimmer in place, I headed off to the shop for some live sand and rock. There is only one shop in Brunei that sells salwater fish, so my options are limited. The live sand has come straight from the sea bed, the guy has a warehouse where he has a constant source of saltwater running across it. The live rock was also in a tank.

Anyway, I bought a load of sand and rock and headed home, I put the sand into the tank and and then dumped the rock in. As the water had no visibility I thought I would wait until it had settled. After it had settled, I arranged the rock. Then the next day decided I didn't like the slight mossy surface that seemed to be on the rocks, so took each piece out and gave it a scrub down with a toothbrush. Then back into the tank and a rearrange.

Then while I was looking at the arrangement, something caught my eye, a small feather duster was popping in and out of one of the holes in the live rock. How the hell did this thing survive everything :shock:

you will be surprised what will survuive through it all but it doesnt mean it will actually make it, some will some will die off( not your fault) just part of the cycling.. Hopefully it will and end up thriving.. Good luck with it and hope for the best..:D

Are you sure it was a feather and not a barnicle? My barnicles pop in and out but the feathers either stay in or out for longer periods of time.

Feathers will survive all kids of movement and punishment so I am sure it will be just fine

I would say definitely a feather duster. It is light brown with darker brown stripes on the feathers. When I say pops in and out that's a bad description on my part. It does stay out and you can see the feathers attached to a worm. If I move my hand and create a shadow he shoots back in the hole for a minute or two, then creeps back out again.

Back