Feather Duster

stb06

Reefing newb
I got a feather duster and put him in my tank today. He has already came out of his tube. ALL of him. I have read that he will grow a new one, Is this true? Is there any action that I should take right now?

Thank You!

anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong but, if the worm just dropped the feather duster part of him, he should regrow it, if worm and featherduster came out of the tube, there is nothing to regrow hes done...

i could be wrong though, wait till someone else chimes in

Think I remember reading that they usually die if they completely leave the tube.
Could be wrong though.Hope I am.
They usually will regrow the crown if they shed it.

Feather duster worms don't grow tubes.They make tubes,mixing mucus and debris/sand as the worm grows.My suggestion is to put the tube near it,maybe it will crawl back in.If not,hopefully it can build a new tube before it starve.

Well the feather duster never made it. First death of the tank. I hope it does not happen to often. Is there anything I should do after a specimen dies in the tank (besides taking it out)? I like feather dusters but not I feel like I should stay away from them. Does anyone else get this feeling when they have something die?

Hate to hear that it died.
We all get that feeling when we have something die in our tanks.But if give up on something because of one death,then it wouldnt take long till we'd just have a tank full of water with some sand and rocks.

I put the bag in the water to get it used to the temperature and then I set him in the sand like the lfs told me to do.

Sorry for your lost.I'm not sure what type of feather duster you had.If it was one of the large Hawaiian feather duster,those are more suited for larger systems IMO.All feather dusters will need supplemental feeding(phytoplankton and other liquid invert food) which can tax such a small system.I wouldn't rule out trying out a small dwarf one later on.

Just a guess.
But I'll bet that the salinity in your tank was different than the LFSs.
You should always acclimate inverts slowly.The easiest method is drip acclimation.It allows the animal to slowly adjust to the change in salinity and chemistry.9 times out of 10,quick changes like that will kill the animal.

Yote is right, inverts should be acclimated over several hours. Fish do okay with much less time, but inverts are much more sensitive than fish.

Back