Featherdusters

Justin0329

Reefing newb
Hello all, I have a question that I hope has an answer...

So, here it goes... My tank is still "new" and is actually in the cycling process. I'm doing this fishless. My ammonia has started to drop and nitrites are rising...quickly. however, that's not the point. My situation is I bought 2 pieces of live rock from my local lfs and immediately when I put them in the tank, 4 small hermit crabs showed themselves. I though it was cool and even better if they survived the cycling process. I also notice quite a few little larva looking organisms. I have no clue what they may become nor do I think they will survive the cycle. However now, after about a week or so of having the live rock in the tank, I'm noticing one of the fish feces looking strands appears to be a very small featherduster. I tried taking a picture but it turns out my camera isn't nearly the quality I thought. My question is, is this even possible? I mean, I though featherdusters needed high quality water and since my water is anything but that, I wouldn't imagine it would survive. But whatever it is, it opens up and looks a lot like a featherduster. Is there anything else it may be that would be able to survive in these conditions and if so, is it something to worry about? Thanks in advance for any responses!!!

Yes its possible. I have hundreds of feather dusters on my LR that I ordered online that have survived shipping, multiple tank transfers with no acclimation, and cycling. They are pretty hardy lil shits.

Like Amber said, feather duster are very hardy and will more than likely survive. I think what you have the feather duster confused with is a coco worm which arent nearly as hardy and are much more difficult to care for.

Okay, so lets say it is a coco worm. That means it probably wouldn't survive the duration of my cycle. However if it is indeed a feather duster, it probably will. So far I have found 2 of them. I'm wondering if the other larvae I have on my rock will also be these little things. As far as the possibility of being feather dusters, how fast do they grow? I mean, when should I expect to be able to determine what it really is?

I've seen several feather dusters that seem to be very large. Roughly 3 inches long and the "feathers" spanning 1-2 inches wide. Does that sound correct? The ones I found are very very small. The feathers are almost impossible to see and the "tube" is no more than 1/2 in in length and about as wide as a sewing needle. They are very small right now. How fast would you expect them to normally grow?

They probably won't get much bigger than that. The ones that hitch hike on the LR are not the same ones you buy at the stores.

DAMN! Ninja'd!

Back