Feeding Shrimp

droth

Reefing newb
Hi guys I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 45 gallon aquarium with a Spotted Yellow Wrasse and a Coral Banded Shrimp as well as numerous corals. I've had these for about a month now and was feeding fish pellets and frozen coral food but when I started to have algae problems I quit feeding the frozen coral food and reduced the pellets to one feeding every two days. For the last couple weeks I've noticed that the shrimp is coming out much more during the day than he ever has and also noticed that when ever I have a feeding the wrasse darts around and eats all the pellets before the shrimp has any chance of getting food. Should I be worried about this? Is there a way to feed the shrimp without the fish eating all the food?

David

Get some frozen mysis.
Just thaw out what you plan to feed,feed the wrasse,then use something like a turkey baster to gently blow some of the food toward your shrimp.

About once a week I feed my fire shrimp a thawed cube of prime reef.It holds the cube shape well.I stick the cube through the pierce end of a feeding stick and hand it to him or her.

I got a sample of the Instant Ocean gel food. The shrimp love it. Usually a chuck makes it to the bottom and the two of them come running for it.

Its heavy enough that it doesnt blow around once it makes it to the bottom of the tank.

At night a few times a week I drop in algea discs for the shrimp. They come running out and each grab one.

I use regular mysis, dispensed with a turkey baster. My shrimp FLY across the tank the moment they spot that baster! *L* I let them come up to it, stick their arms into the opening, and grab some food. Soon as they have ahold of it, they scurry into hiding to eat it. Then I feed everyone else. :)

what kind of shrimp is it?

I generally don't have to spot feed mine. Althouh if h comes way out at feeding time and doesn't catch anything, I'll usually grab a few pieces of mysis and feed him by hand. he sits on my hand and munches away while all the fish stare in wonder/awe/fear

ok well don't doo that wit a CBS! He'd probably eventually eat you too. my shrimp is very docile-- a fire shrimp... wereas CBS are known for attacking fish and stuff.

I have a Coral Banded. I don't spot feed him at all. I do use Arcti-Pods once every 3 days at night so I am betting that's where he is gorging himself. I have not had an issue (so far) with him going after any fish, or anything for that matter.

Whenever I feed my fish, I shoot some of the food at my shrimp with a turkey baster, and I make sure he eats.

I have 10 more shrimp coming in next week, so I will have a hungry herd of them to keep happy!

Back