Feeding Vegetables - How To?

ElectricShadow

Reefing newb
Hi all,

My tank is doing quite well at the moment considering all the issues before. However, I have both carnivorous fish and herbivorous fish in my tank. I alternate between feeding flakes and live plankton each alternative day, but I would like to introduce some real vegetable matter to my herbivorous fish.

I tried grating some carrots and putting them in a ball and dropping it in the tank... BIG mistake, they just floated around and the fish did not even try to eat it!

So, clearly, I was doing something wrong... need a little guidance if anyone has any to offer! Thanks!

I would get some nori sheets. They are dried sea weed and really what your fish will want to eat. They have never seen any carrots so they might not associate them as food. Also, they might not contain the nutrition that the fish need since they have not evolved to eat land based veggies.

when i fed veggies i didnt have this trouble because well i fed it to my blowfish puffer , who as soon as he saw it he went straight for it, whatever he spit out the other fish would grab

i did notice that my fish (any of them ) didnt really like carrots , but they loved the vein , in baby carrots if you crack one up you see a thin vein in the middle

what they loved was peas ,corn and green beans , i guess because he could peel it and it wasnt as hard as a carrot , my CUC would take care of the peelings at the bottom good luck , cant get more natural than veggies

Thanks for the advice! With the corn (peas can't be bought in China), do you cook it at all before or just give it raw?

i fed frozen (thus it thaws ) , raw would be to hard,

basically make it soft , and they should eat it up

just experiment and see what they like , maybe cause my fish are pigs and will eat anything in front of them haha

@BJ & North... Seems so obvious! I will grab some and see what they think. @JC, I'll also give the corn a try, give them a variety of foods, should keep them happ hopefully!

Back