Filter for my 40 Gallon

Fockdaddy

Reefing newb
I was wondering what type of filter I should use for the 40 gallon tank I just bought. I don't feel like doing anything complicated and want to know if there are any simple filters that will work fine for a saltwater tank. Also should I get a uv sterilizer and a protein skimmer. If so is there any specific ones I should get. Thanks.

maybe an aquaclear but personally i would go with a diy sump. theyre easy to build and cheap. u can put one together for alot less than any hang on back filter would cost. and u can put ur skimmer down there and ur heater instead of cramming it all in ur small tank. if u go with a hang on back filter ur gonna have to clean it out thouroughly at least once a week as theyre pretty good at collecting detritus and become nitrate factories over time.... definitely get a protein skimmer. u dont need a uv sterilizer. i would reccomend a reef octopus protein skimmer.

Last edited:
Another option is a hang on back refugium with a built in skimmer. Thats if the idea of a underneath scares you. Your filter is really your live rock and flow in the tank. I ran a hob refugium for 3+ years and it worked great.

I honestly just do not know how to build a sump.. I have seen some videos but I cannot find one that shows it in great detail.

There is a thread in the DIY section I believe called Sump 101 it's an excellent resource for learning how to build one and how it all works

What type of 40 gallon are you looking at? How much room do you have underneath. Really need dimensions. I have run salt tanks for..20+ years This is the first time I have done a sump refugium, and I really kick my self for never doing it before. My new tank is a 45. In my signature is a link to that build. I got the sump on ebay. With shipping it ran about $160. If you have the space and the funds to go that route I would say its the best way to go. If you dont have the space or the money then look at a hob refuguim or a hob skimmer. Aquatraders has a nice hob refuguim. Thats the one I used for over three years never had a problem with it and did a great job in my opinion. If you just want to do Live rock in the display and a hob skimmer go with the reef octopus. You will need power heads in the tank for flow be looking at 25 to 40 times turn over..so a 40 gallon you want 800gph to 1600 gph. its better to have multiple smaller powerheads then one big one.

Back