Filter in sump?

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Hi all...
I am hearing filters in sump???
What are you all using? Where are you applying it?

I just put alil 5 by 6 square of quilt batting under my inflow under the bio balls...

Should I have one laying under the entire lenght of my sump?

There are 3 main types of filters that people use in their sumps: 1- A filter sock or some type of filtration that catches debris that is floating in the water, 2- chemical filtration like carbon and GFO, which is used to remove compounds present in the water like nitrate and phosphate, 3- DSB and macros which help to remove nutrients and nitrates. There is also the skimmer which is generally the thing that pulls out the most, it is truly the heart of the system and pulls out tons of gunk, the rest is stuff that can be added depending on the need. Bioballs would be considered denitrifying media and just converts ammonia into nitrate, if you remove the bioballs then you may see a reduction in the amount of nitrates that are present in your system. The quilt stuff is going to do what a filter sock does and remove debris and polish the water, it will have to be removed every few days and washed to keep it from accumulating too much debris and becoming useless.

1)Skimmer in the left chamber of the sump

2)Two sponge filters between the baffles before water is returned to the display.

3)Separate 24g. refugium with chaeto,live rock and a 6'' sand bed.

4)Three filter cylinders(sort of like phosphate reactors) with a adjustable slow flow-one has carbon,one has chemipure,the other phosphate remover.None run 24/7,each ran several days to a week once a month.

Back