Filter Overkill?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I plan to have a 46 gallon running with a 50+ pounds of live rock, live sand, and an Octopus 2000 HOB skimmer. Is running an Emperor 400 on the tank overkill or a waste of time, or would it be beneficial?

Thanks.

Yep, live rock and skimmer will be all you need. Adding the Emperor will only give you more things to clean, and could even hurt your water quality if you fall behind on cleaning.

+1 to all

I run a canister once a month with carbon. Run it 2 or 3 days and then toss the carbon and dry out the canister until next month. Just use it to polish water and remove any contaminants.

I am REALLY anal about how long I run my carbon. I dump it after only 2 or 3 days because I think it's done all the work it can do - after that it's just clogged and can't absorb anymore toxins. But thats just my opinion.

A lot of people run the same carbon for a month straight. If you want to do that, I would suggest you take the mesh bag or plastic carbon container out of the canister every 3 or 4 days and rinse off the gunk in RO water. Flush the carbon out and rinse all that gunk off it. Then you could put it back in the tank again for another 3 or 4 days.

But thats all too much trouble for me. I take fresh carbon - fill the basket in the canister - run it on the display for 24-48hrs and then rinse it in RO water. Transfer the canister to the 29g frag tank and then run it 2 or 3 days. Then dump it all and store the canister until next month.

Okay. Thanks for the specifics. I hate to keep the Emperor filter around just to run carbon a couple days a month though...

Is it possible to run the carbon in something other than the filter? My Octopus 2000 HOB skimmer still hasn't arrived yet, but I was wondering if there would be space somewhere in the skimmer to shove a bag of carbon for a couple of days a month? Good plan? Bad plan?

Thanks, guys.

You could probably place a bag of carbon on the return spout.Not sure how effective it would be like that though.

I ran an Emperor filter on my tank for years until I just recently picked up a sump overflow system. Like the others have said keeping the pads clean is a pain and they are expensive to replace with new ones every couple weeks. If you go through a year of buying pads you could put that money toward a sump, skimmer, etc.

But.......what I had done with mine in recent months was run it empty. I had put the extension on the uptake tube on mine so the inlet was just off the bottom of my tank. With the cascading water back into the tank it established a nice top to bottom water flow in my tank to supplement the swirling of my powerheads. I figured if nothing else the sheeting effect of the water and the bio-wheels might help with gas exchange. I also considered putting rock rubble in the filter at one point in place of the cartridges. to make a mini-refugium of sorts. I never got around to it before I went to a sump.

Okay. I think I'll leave the Emperor on my tank running empty for water/air circulaton, and then I'll throw carbon in for two days every month.

And, I'll look into a sump for the future (or maybe try to make the Emperor a semi-sump). What sump overflow did you buy/ or what kind would you recommend for a 46 gallon tank? Is there a cheap way to rig a sump overflow?

I'm not sure what brand I have - I bought it used. I'll have to look to see if it has any markings on it. It's a factory made acrylic wet/dry. the complete system "ready to use" with filter, overflow box and and almost new MAG return pump was only $ 50.00.

I had been looking for a used setup at a reasonable price for a couple years. In my area at least I found that first - wet/drys or sumps rarely show up for sale used and when they do they are rather expensive for used equipment IMO. With wet/drys falling out-of-favor so much in recent years you would think people would be giving them away. My guess is most people simply converted theirs to sump only setups.

As for cheap - the most cost effective way would seem to be to use a smaller glass aquarium as your sump. On-line you could probably get a new overflow box/hose setup for less than $ 50.00. The only item remaining would be a pump. I'm guessing you could get something large enough new in that $ 50.00 range too.

Others on the forum are probably in a better position to suggest size since I'm new to the sump game myself. If you would put the sump in your cabinet that would dictate the size. If next to your tank probably the bigger the better from a water quality standpoint. On the other hand the higher the volume of water means more salt, bigger water changes, possible larger heater, skimmer etc. so you need to balance that too.

Back