Filter question...noob with a nano

breebauer

Reefing newb
Hi folks!
I have a 10 gal hex that was originally meant for seahorses, but now is going to house only soft and LPS corals.
I have a larger tank that will be set up in a few months, so anything that gets too big will get moved over to that one.

The 10 gal currently has:
15 lbs LR
10 lbs LS
Some zoos, hairy mushrooms and polys
an open brain
small bubble coral
some hermits

For lighting the best that I could find (besides MH) is 36watt PC. I had a hard time because of the small size of the top of the tank, and couldn't get MH because of the small size of my bank acct.

The filter I'm using is a Fluval 104 canister. I like it, and it works well, except it's just too big and bulky for a little tank. I am tempted to buy this:
Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Drs. Foster and Smith

Obviously flow is a concern. I think that it might equal out with what I have now, since my fluval is sitting below the middle of the tank height, and probably compromising the supposed 'up to 125 gph flow' that it should have.
The mini filter claims to have 80 gph.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks again!

It looks good... Obviously, the normal canister filter warning applies -- keep it very clean or you can have nitrate problems because of it.

With a low fish load, you can probably get by without a filter or skimmer, and just do regular water changes. If you want to go that route, you should get a powerhead instead.

I would just buy a cheapo Whisper hang on filter and one small powerhead,a Koralia nano pump comes to mine.As for the lights that PC fixture will probably be your best bet.Stick with mainly soft corals and maybe a few LPS corals.

your set up will be fine. Go with a HOB filter and PCs. Do add one or two small fish (not damsels) maybe a pair of firefish to keep the natural balance of things. Corals tend to do better with fish in the tank

-Doc

underwaterworld:
my tank is 16" tall , but there's about 13" total depth with the sand bed

and, I know I've been procrastinating about getting the 2 small fish. I went to the store yesterday to get them, walked out with 2 more small corals. Bad.
This weekend I'll get them!
Thanks everybody!

My LFS only had one firefish. I bought it, I couldn't help myself....

Now what do I do? Should I get another one from the other LFS today? Or should I get a different fish? (Remember I have a nano, so I think I'm pretty limited here.)

Thanks!

You can try to get another firefish. They might get along, they might not. I have never had a problem with firefish getting along when they've been introduced at different times, but other people have.

I have never had a problem with firefish getting along either. I had one and then put in a second about a month later with no problems...until the shark ate them both (I have not always had the best judgment in this hobby)

-Doc

Back